Hersey woofer cone color variations

Seadog

I have seen photos of Heresy's on eBay with either dark woofer cones or light (silver-white) cones. On one (matched) pair offered, there was a dark and a light woofer.

Is there a difference between the colors? Are the variations a problem?

Thanks.

I have had Heresys manufactured from 1965 to 1984 and have seen a lot of others. I have never seen one with a silver-white cone. AFAIK all Heresys originally had black paper cones. If exposed to sunlight, over time, they will fade to grey to brown and light brown as the paper is bleached by the light. If there is a variation in the color of the cones of a pair that has lived together, it means one has been exposed to more sunlight than the other, or the cone has been replaced. The variation in color, if the cones are otherwise right, is not necessarily in itself a problem. However, the bleached cones then to be more brittle and prone to damage than unaffected ones.

I don't have silver-white but my '72s are mismatched. One is an all black K-22-K and the other has a reddish surround and is a k-22. I assume it was replaced at some point. Both say Klipsch on them. I bought a matching K-22-K on ebay for $58. Looks new and I need them to match since I now have no grills on mine. Never heard of a light colored one though.

I'd have to say I looked at both those links. Looks to me they are both black. If you look closely I think you are seeing the refection of the flash makeing them look whiteish. I have taken many photos (own a Nikon D1x) and have seen that many times.

hoggy

Yep, I think what you see in the photos is a combination of lighting and natural aging of the woofers. Look at the back of the woofer on the picture of the insides of the first listing.

If you have a K-22-K in a 1972 Heresy you need to change the network from Type C to Type E if it hasn't already been done. The original woofer was 16 ohms. The K-22-K is 8 ohms. All it takes is changing one capacitor and the autotransformer taps.

The red cloth surrounds were used on the earlier, alnico woofers through 1975 or so. The pleated paper ones appear to have come in simultaneously with the mud magnets on the later ones.