Bi-amping KSP 400s? KSPs vs. KLFs?

Epic Premiere Legend

I just scored a 2nd set of KSP S6s off of ebay so I can now go with a full on 7.1 system. I currently had a HK 8000 receiver driving a full set of KSPs (400 mains, C6 center, and 1 pair of S6 surrounds). The HK 8000 despite being 6.1 or 7.1 capable unfortunately only has 5 amplified channels, so obviously I will need an addtional 2 channel amp for my new pair of S6s for 7.1 surround sound. The obvious choice is the HK PA2000 power amp. However, I got to thinking about it, with a HK PA4000 power amp instead, I could use it to bi-amp the KSP 400 mains while using all of the reciever's powered channels for center and surrounds on movies. This route would also give me seperates for 2 channel music listening. Would that be a better plan? Or should I just get the HK PA2000 and forget it?

Also, I also have a pair of KLF30s in a dedicated 2 channel rig. I know that the KSP S6s are also the recomended surround speaker for the KLFs too. Would I be better off to try to find a KLF center channel speaker (I can't remember the model # though) and a SVS sub for movies too than the KSP 400 based sytem?

• 6 years later...

IMHO, I would have to disagree. I have had my KSP 400s bi-amped and not bi-amped... and there is a DISTINCT difference in how much the midrange opens up and how little sibilence, if any is experienced when I crank it loud. As a matter of fact, I am so impressed with the difference in bi-amping, that I am considering tri-amping with a tube amp for the high frequency driver. Currently using 3 HK Signature 2.1 amps (100 watts x 5, 100 amperes, all channels driven 20Hz - 20kHz) in my set up with KSP S6s for side and rear and KSP C6 for center. Also, KSB 3.1s, 2.1s and SS-3 for presence channels and KSW-150 for rear sub. My complaint is that the S6s and C6 are not bi-ampable. Imagine how much better the S6s could sound with bi-amplification!

I couldn't say the same for bi-wiring, though... unless the cables were specifically wired to separate the high frequencies from the low frequencies. There are two schools of though on this: those who are for it, and those who are not - just like bi-amping. [*-)]

I'd probably disagree with most of what I said in 2004, too.[;)]

I still have the 400's hooked up the same way, to a Denon AVR-3300 5.1 receiver. If I were to rewire them, I'd probably not go to the trouble of biwiring. We just don't use them that often. Netflix movies are about it right now. My "home theater" is more like a bunch of equipment in the family room...