RS-3 Placement?

gooch

I am going to be moving to my new house in about a week, and I would like to obtain 'optimal' placement of my RS-3 Surrounds.

I will be wall mounting them on a wall that is going to be about 2 feet from the listener. I don't have any side walls to work with, so rear mounting is a requirement.

I have been reading that 6' to the bottom of the enclosure is ideal, but what about direction? Should I buy mounting brackets so I can angle them more towards the listener? Or is flush mounting good enough?

regards,

-- gooch cwm44.gif

------------------

--

RF-3 RC-3 RS-3 KSW-12

Sony Trinitron 32"

Sony STR-DE925

Hi gooch from a fellow desert rat - The RS-3 has a vertical dispersion of about 60 degrees. The thing you have to be aware of is whether that dispersion cone will hit your ears when you are seated in your favorite place. It is possible that 2 feet away and 6 feet up might project most of the sound over your head and may not give you the results you want.

I faced a similar problem with my SS-1s. You could try mounting them at an angle. Some have done that using a really long, but stout, screw on the top keyhole mount so that the top of the speaker hangs away from the wall, angled down toward the listening area. Others have bought brackets to do that, although that may serve to extend the speaker away from the wall and make it more difficult to hit the sweet spot.

You might consider mounting the RS-3s on the ceiling. I have read of others doing this, and there is another thread on this right now on the BB. (My SS-1s are on the ceiling, now.) You would orient them so that the long sides (the "top" and "bottom" of the RS-3) are parallel to the side walls, positioned pretty much directly over the listening area. Of course, secure them well to avoid a lot of pain and lawsuits!

Doug

Jeez, the humidity must be up today... Smile.gif~

The ceiling mount sounds like an interesting idea. I will have to search the board and see what the thread says. It's true that being 6' up and 2' back, the 60 degree dispersion will be shooting over the listener. Maybe angling them down will work as well. I want it to be as aesthetically pleasing as possible, so it doesn't grate on the wife... Smile.gif

-- gooch

------------------

RF-3 RC-3 RS-3 KSW-12

Sony Trinitron 32"

Sony STR-DE925

gooch - The resemblance is only coincidental. I don't think we are related.

Anyhow, my wife is great about this stuff, but the angled SS-1s grated on her big time. She said they looked like they were about to fall off the wall (even though they never would have). She likes the ceiling mount better. (Of course, the fact that she was able to finally move me and my hobby out of the living areas into a dedicated room - read, out of sight -- probably accounts for a lot of that Smile.gif).

Doug

I printed out some of the threads, and my wife finds them and reads through some of them. "Did you find what you were looking for?", she asks.

"I've got some ideas, what do you think of mounting on the ceiling?"

"Whatever works, as long as it sounds good." Biggrin.gif

Now that's what I'm talkin about! Man, I love my wife.

-- gooch

------------------

RF-3 RC-3 RS-3 KSW-12

Sony Trinitron 32"

Sony STR-DE925

This message has been edited by gooch on 06-19-2001 at 09:46 PM

Maybe try putting them a little lower. I think the angle idea is good. Try experimenting before placing them permanently.

------------------

Sony Trinitron 27" TV

Yamaha RX-V1000

JVC HR-S3800 Super VHS VCR

Sony DVP-S530D DVD Player

Sony Tape

Sony CDP-CE345 Cd player

RF-3 Main

Monster m1.4 Biwire Cables

RC-3 Center

SS-1 Rear

I will be able to start experimenting with the speaker placement starting next week, when we get the keys to the house. The room is already pre-wired for the surround system, and my wall jacks are placed 7' up on the wall.

I just mail ordered some Acoustic Research Wall Plates. Anybody have any experience with these?

-- gooch

------------------

RF-3 RC-3 RS-3 KSW-12

Sony Trinitron 32"

Sony STR-DE925

• 2 weeks later...

Finally! We have moved in and I have been able to setup my system. I wish I could set my Klipsch better, but with how our house is setup, I was limited in what I could do. Right now I have the RS-3's flush mounted to the wall behind the listener, 6 ft up. The couch is about 2 feet away from the wall, making the listener 3 feet away (we have one of those loose large cushion types).

I attempted 5 ft up, but I was afraid too many people would knock their head, so I opted for 6, even though the position isn't as optimal. The positioning is wide, since between the speakers are 4 rather large windows. I would say a good 3 - 4 feet on either side of the couch.

Now I just need to get a 65" HDTV and upgrade my receiver to properly compliment my Klipsch!

------------------

RF-3 RC-3 RS-3 KSW-12

Sony Trinitron 32"

Sony STR-DE925