18" JBL Pro Subwoofer on Ebay

T_Shomaker

That woofer won't have much output below 35-30Hz, and will be 60-80Hz dominant. It also does not have much of an Xmax judging by the folds in the surround. It probably needs a huge vented enclosure as well around 6-8 cu. ft or more. The magnet on the back of my Velodyne 15" woofer makes that one look small. That thing is designed for pro applications where gut wrenching bass is not really necessary.

Hmmmm...I think the 20-20000Hz is more accurate. At least as an "average"; as due to age, and other factors we all loose sensitivity, and range as we get older. But I know I can hear WELL below 64Hz.

If we couldn't hear below 64Hz, what would the need for a sub be? To just rattle the house?

However, I think it was pretty inappropriate for the first person who responded to the origional post to "slam" your offering.

-Alan

Sheesh, this sounds like "speaker cable wars." All I know is when I run a test sweep on my system, I can hear down to 20hz and a bit below. I know I am hearing it, and not just feeling the rumble.

I don't think Frzn was slamming anything. I think (and I read it this way) he was just commenting on the ability of the unit to actually "subwoof." If his assessment is correct, I think I'd put this more in the category of a bass bin than a sub woofer, the sub implying it would be able to plumb with authority the depths of the first octave.

DD

I'm sure there could be better but this thing kicks *** with a bridged Yamaha M-40 driving it. The cabinet for it is about 3'x 2'x 2', so it kinda takes up a lot of space. That is a really good deal because they cost $600 new (I think). So if you are on a budget this is about the best sub you could get for the money in my opinion. The sub was originally used in a 2 channel setup with a pair of a/d/s L1590's (which if you don't know what these are they are awesome). I like them a bit more than the Klipschorns because the bass is better. Once my stepdad's JBL sub is reconed I'm gonna play Tchaikovsky 1812 Overture on it with the L1590's. I'm gonna shake the neighbor's windows!3.gif

----------------

On 1/23/2004 11:52:13 PM T_Shomaker wrote:

I'm sure there could be better but this thing kicks *** with a bridged Yamaha M-40 driving it. The cabinet for it is about 3'x 2'x 2', so it kinda takes up a lot of space. That is a really good deal because they cost $600 new (I think). So if you are on a budget this is about the best sub you could get for the money in my opinion. The sub was originally used in a 2 channel setup with a pair of a/d/s L1590's (which if you don't know what these are they are awesome). I like them a bit more than the Klipschorns because the bass is better. Once my stepdad's JBL sub is reconed I'm gonna play Tchaikovsky 1812 Overture on it with the L1590's. I'm gonna shake the neighbor's windows!
3.gif
----------------

That woofer is discontinued, so not $600. It is a 2240, and there has been a 2241 and 2242. I think that thing was discontinued in the early 90's.

I am thinking of selling my JBL sub to buy parts (and a table saw 9.gif )for a new subwoofer. The one I have planned uses a 15" Quatro driver (Parts Express) in a 6 cu. ft. box and at -3 dB. - is at 22 Hz. There will be usable bass in the teens.

My stepdad said that if his woofer got messed up then he would have to get a new one which would be $600. He was told this by his Antech Labs. The new one is more effiecent than the old one and is much better from what Antech Labs told my stepdad. Our sub will be like the new one once they come over to my house and get this thing out to recone it.