Speaker break-in process

tobym

Break-in is one of those "controversial" items which has never been proven. Some say it's a technique to get the user to keep a product they don't like until they get used to it (ie: break in the user 6.gif ) while others are convinced it makes a difference.

In either case... your Klipsch should sound good out of the box, so I wouldn't worry about it.

Rob

I'm a believer in speakers requiring a break-in period.

As a matter of experience, I figure horn midrange compression drivers take the longest (about 48-72 hours total) using normal music at normal volume. They usually sound quite harsh at first but will eventually smooth out a bit; I think it is entirely mechanical break-in. I figure about 2 weeks of "normal" listening periods, that is, not leaving them running overnight, etc.

Tweeters are not as intrusive to me as the midrange sqawkers. I don't think that they move enough air to be much of a problem. I regard the break-in on horn tweeters as negligible.

The woofers don't seem to be effected much, although they mechanically move the most. Maybe the bass-end of things are not as easy to hear as the uppers.

I've heard of people putting the speakers face-to-face out of phase so they cancel each other out and running the same cd track set on auto-repeat overnight at loud levels and stuff. Never did it.

LeoK stated it quite well in an email discussion. - Set your receiver to the noise between stations - turn up the volume just a little past the comfortable listening level and leave them on while you go out for an hour or two. Do this for about 8-10 hours total time and you accelerate the break in process. Remember - not too loud - just a little louder than your comfort level of listening.

I would say about a year of constanly listening to them. But you try this with other speakers some sound worse. Right out of the box some sound better than when their broken in. Not my klipsch's though they sounded quite a bit better about a year later. They are warmer and smoother now with a lot more inner detail. I have noticed lately songs on the radio even sound like their new versions, because i can hear the vocal so clearly. Now i can hear them taking in breaths when needed. And this is on a radio station that isn't completely clear. Never heard that even six months ago with them speakers. My sf-2 seem to sound better as they go. I do not really get it. But hay that's cool with me. I believe you can get used to a sound then it seems like a break in period worked but in this case it just is better. Your amp is more critical of a break in period. Now this is just my superior being opinion.12.gif

I am totally astounded by this subject!! As a former Klipsch Engineer, and a Materials and Processes Engineer in the aerospace field for the last 24 years, my first response has to be what Paul would have said to me after that question. BULL****!!

From a Materials standpoint, there could be some possibility of the materials that make up the diaphragm of the compression driver breaking down early on in use and altering the sound. I would not find it important (because at 51, I wouldn't hear it), and it would be extremely hard to measure.

When I got involved in the early 70's there were two schools of audiofiles, the objective and the subjective. Objective group wanting scientific proof and test results, and the Subjective group believing what their ears told them.

This issue.....subjective!!

LMAO....Maybe I should stay out of this forum!!! What do you moderators think!!!6.gif

The improvements supposedly heard by the proponents of "break-in' always seem to be much greater than the slight objective differences in speakers before and after any use. This is suspicious and together with other forms of delusional audiophile behavior I've observed lead me to believe that said proponents are imagining things.

Funny how fellas like Lansing, Fletcher, Olson, Hilliard, PWK, Walker----you know, the actual scientists and engineers who developed this technology, didn't notice the effect. Ahhh, what did they know, they didn't even read Stereophile, all they had was Bell Labs and Murray Hill.

I didn't understand a word anyone said. But i do think the amplifier breaking in has more to do with the improved sound i am hearing. And their is no battling that thought because it is true. I know cold when i hear it and i know warm. But for the speakers sake i think they should sound good right out of the box. I forget i have been using different receivers with different characteristics in tone so it really screwed me up when i thought about it. The very first thing i noticed about klipsch was the way the midrange was laid back and not in your face hollow sounding like most speakers. That truely sold them to me. I couldn't stand hearing this tin can sound from every speaker i heard unless you eq the mids and i do not like to eq anything. Now when i talk about midrange this is a huge area so i am no expert on it i just no it doesn't sound boxy or hollow. And i am totally cool with that right out of the box.

----------------

On 1/30/2004 5:11:33 PM Mr. P wrote:

I am totally astounded by this subject!! As a former Klipsch Engineer, and a Materials and Processes Engineer in the aerospace field for the last 24 years, my first response has to be what Paul would have said to me after that question. BULL****!!

----------------

I swear, IT'S ALWAYS THE ENGINEERS!

Welcome!

DM2.gif