Phenolic Spiders.

mike stehr

I've got a local audio friend whose has a terrible addiction with speakers, vintage and new.

He holds a high regard for these types of spiders as well.

I have another pair of Stentorian's coming, but the spiders will probably be cloth.

They do OK as a full-range, but they tromp rather well on the bass end.

I have around a 3 and a half foot volume cabinets for them. I'll probably use them as woofers doing the BR thing, tuned to 30, 35 Hz or so in a two or three way set-up with a midhorn of some sort. .

I have a pair of Sellenium slot tweeters to start with, nothing special. But they were cheap.

The Ol' guy told me he'd infect me, and unfortunately he has.

Mike,

when is he going to find me an old 300B, 2a3, or 45 amp? I came across a guy last week who turfed me a pair of used 45s, one a KenRad and the other a Sylvania. They want a chassis to drop in!2.gif

I talked to John Albright the last couple of days, and he might be talking to you about the Scala bass bins at Dutch's. I wish I could see your spiders so I would know what to look for here in SL for you2.gif

Still haven't gotten a call from the shelving guy with the output tube caddy. I have to play real mellow so I have a chance to get them for a good steal - and pass on to others some good deals. Hope you aren't freezing out there!

"When is he going to find me an old 300B, 2a3, or 45 amp?"

What? Is he obligated here?

He had a pair 2A3 parallel push-pulls in the past, but they found their way to Ebay.

Finding a vintage SET 45, 2A3, or 300B amplifier will be a extremely dauntful task, better hit those old Theaters.

And they'll be PP's! Goood luck!

That pair of 45 tubes you have will fare well in a modern day 45 amp, or......Homebrew!!

Go for it Dave, build a pair of 45 monoblocks.

You have local's in your area that are into it, they can help you out.

Take your time at it. Look at me, I've been into this amp eight months.

All that big-block tube horsepower with the Dukanes on Khorns, and you hold interest in a weak little 1.5 watt triode tube.

Interesting.

2.gif

I can run down to Dutch's and see if those La Scalas bins are still there.

I can go into Huppin's next door and experience some modern day gear.

11.gif

I hope you do get that tube caddy, that would be nice.

It's been pretty decent around here lately, hovering in the 30's. But snow and 0 low temps for next week.

24 below is harsh, I hope we won't get that low again.....

I'll post a pic of this Stentorian's spider. They are rare.