Question? tube hookup

twhite

This may seem like a simple question although, I have not found a "suitable" answer yet. Keith from this forum has mentioned that I can purchase his spare 222c (it will need to be gone through). Soooo I'm trying to come up with a way to connect the amp to run my rf3ii's and then which over to HT for movetime running through a 5.1 amp.

The HT amp may or may not have preouts. If it does then the question is should I hook up all the equipment to the HT and run the preouts to the scott,,,, but then the rf3ii's will have to amps hooked to it. Granted only one will be sending a signal. But there must be some negative feed back going on here.

What if the HT amp doesn't have any preouts? Then what? Hook the dvd to the HT and everything else (TT, CD) to the scott? The speaker issue of being connected to two amps still exist, although in this options one amp will be turned off.

I'm assuming a speaker switch box may be neccessary, and this ideal leaves me cold. So how do you hook up your left and right main speakers for your tube audio to a HT system without lossing quality?

Troy

Hello Troy. I have something that you might want to see. There is an outside chance that I will get a day off this weekend. Doing anything Sunday? I'll e-mail you tonight or tomorrow.

I would recommend that you buy nothing right now. You might wait until you have had the chance to listen to the 222-C and then decide what you might want to do. I would have the amp restored as my first priority, then decide on other expenditures later.

If it was not a lot of trouble, I would simply disconnect the speaker wires from the HT amp and connect the speaker wires from the Scott when you wanted to listen to the tube amp. You will then have a better idea of what you actually want.

As I told you earlier, I have not had the time to listen to the Scott. I'll try to do that tomorrow. Been working 12 to 15 hours per day so I've had time to do nothing much. I may just package it up and send it to you rather than waiting around forever. I know I'll be off in April! 4.gif

I've got a Scott metal case you might be interested in, if you want a cabinet. It's not perfect. It was the original cabinet for my Scott 350 tuner.

Hope this helps.

Keith

Will this work? split the source signal between the two units, let the tube amp run the two main speakers, let the HT amp run the center channel and the rear speakers, turn the HT amp off when playing music, turn both amps on for movies and balance the sound level with the volume knobs...

14.gif

Keith,

I lost my job last summer and am currently working at a HT store here in north west atlanta to help make ends meet. I do not believe I will stay at this job for very long, maybe a few more months before I am able to move back into my career field.

But while I am here I'm making every effort to put my long term stereo together. Last month I picked up a pair of rf3ii's for below cost on a trade-in. I currently see another (single one rf3ii) in the back that I may also pickup and perhaps a sub in the near future. Since the store doesn't carry the line anymore its a hit or miss opportunity. I can get any niles equipment, also SS equipment like yah or den or b&k. So the hunt is on....

In my mind I need to have a plan and the 222c fits very nicely. The SS will only be for the HT which is rare in our household.

As luck would have it, I actually do have sunday off. We would like to attend church (if possible, but not manditory). I'll send you my home number on email. Call me if you wish to get together.

What else did you have in mind?

Troy

A little more thought on your whole question. This all my opinion and based on my tastes:

Using the HT amp pres does work and I have done so. If you have the same speakers all around, the two tube amped will have a different flavor. You may have no problem with it - it began to Chinese torture me and I had to change.

As to source connections - that is really dependent on both units and how they mesh. As a rule you should be able to use the REC OUT of the HT amp and deliver that to an AUX or TAPE IN (or tape monitor) on the tube amp without much bother. There may be some problems, but experimentation will tell you what you like best. The TT will most likely (if there is any choice) sound better on the Scott. On my fisher 400 the CD sounds nicer to me played through the HT amp then direct to the tube amp. You just never know til you try.

It appears the conclusion is to use a speaker switching device like niles, although it will need to be a 4 channel unit that allow a bi-wire switching.

As for the equipment hookup we need to experiment with different options to see which method sound best for each item, (turntable, cd, tuner). One may need to go through the HT while another should go directly to the tube.

Thank you for the help. Everyone.... Let me know if my conclusions are wrong or can improved on.

Troy