Valvo ECF 82

Piranha

----------------

On 1/22/2004 12:42:23 PM Guy Landau wrote:

These are great 6U8's and can be used in your Scott amp.
----------------

That's exactly what I bought them for. One of the GE 6GH8's that came in my 299D got cracked during shipping. I was too impatient to wait for a replacement to get here. The only replacment pair I could find locally were these. So I drove an hour out to UpscaleAudio.com and picked up this NOS pair for $80. I thought that was pretty steep? And I wasn't sure if they were just blowing smoke to me. How would you say that these compare to Telefunken, Mullard etc.?

Thanks,

----------------

On 1/22/2004 12:54:51 PM Guy Landau wrote:

I haven't compared them. It should be very similar to Mullard since both Valvo and Mullard were owned by Philips and used the same tooling in manufacture.----------------

Thanks for the info. I guess I'll throw them up on Audiogon or eBay if someone here doesn't want them.

----------------

On 1/22/2004 2:03:38 PM Ryan C. Inman wrote:

----------------

On 1/22/2004 12:40:12 PM Piranha wrote:

What are these? And are they worth anything? Can anyone give me more info?

Thanks,

----------------

Worth about $30 for the pair, these are FANTASTIC 6U8's, comparable in every way to Telefunken. Pop those in your Scott 299-D and you won't look back!

-Ryan

----------------

I paid $40 each. 7.gif

Lesson learned. Don't buy from www.upscaleaudio.com. Apparently they are a ripoff.

----------------

On 1/22/2004 2:37:10 PM Ryan C. Inman wrote:

----------------

On 1/22/2004 2:11:10 PM Piranha wrote:

I paid $40 each.
7.gif

Lesson learned. Don't buy from
. Apparently they are a ripoff.

----------------

Yikes! $40 each!

The 6U8 is an old TV tube, there were billions of them made, and they were used in nearly every TV set made up until the early 70's. Most types can be had for under $4.00 each, the rare types (Telefunken, Amperex, Valvo, and Mullard) are passed off as "special" audiophile types. While they do sound somewhat better, they are still TV tubes! You have to watch where you buy tubes, there are a lot of ripoff artists out there! $80 for a pair of tubes expected to last about 500 hours is too much.

-Ryan

----------------

Like I said, I got ripped by www.upscaleaudio.com 7.gif

I will never do business with them again.

Piranha,

The price of the Valvo is high, but that's about right for purchasing from a serious tube dealer. The Valvo's are not that easy to find, have a very good reputation for quality, and most likely will far exceed 500 hours of use and maybe last twice as long as those half their price. You can pay now, or pay later. I'm not saying you should feel good about the price, but a pair of ECF82 Tele's from Tube World would cost you $80 also.

Remember;

"The nicer the nice, the higher the price"

Klipsch out.