K-horn crossover

drobo1

Al Klappenberger,

I copied the post below from a thread on the AudioAsylum high efficiency speaker board. I was curious if you had tried this since this guy seems to be so sure that the autoformer is the wrong way to attenuate the squawker to balance the drivers in the Heritage line.

Thanks ahead of time,

drobo

--------

Hi Sam P,

Paul Kipsch uses a autotransformer to attenuate the midrange by about 6 dB. However that is a very oldfashioned way to do it. A bonus as regarded by Klipsch is that the impedance seen by the amplifier is high and not a difficult load for that amplifier.

The Klipschorn sounds MUCH more open and transparent with the transformer removed and a 3 pole Butterworth or 4 pole Bessel high pass network with polypropylene caps. And a resistor network for the attenuation.

Try it if you don't believe me!

ELSO

This message has been edited by drobo1 on 06-20-2001 at 03:21 PM

Elso,

I didn't say I did not believe you. I don't have the resources to test your statement. I have the ALK's that Al believes need the autoformer. They are much improved over my 22 year old stock X-overs. I am looking for responses to your opinion.

drobo

Hi Drobo1,

Recently I made a comparison between the original Klipsch AAnetwork <13 µF cap and autoformer> the latest Klipsch network with the inductor across the midrange and of course Al Klappenbergs latest network; with the original Klipsch autoformer. Of these three networks I liked the latest Klipsch one the most, and Al's the least. But all the networks with the autoformer bring a certain mudding to the sound. Yes my network is also more revealing and less forgiving for bad frontend especially digital equipment. I mean your amplifer CDP and DAC have to be absolutely first class!

You don't need large resources to build these filters. Let your ears decide if you like it without autoformer. I played years with the third order Butterworth filter (highpass) but not so long ago switched over to Bessel fourth order for the mid and the tweeter. This is my end station so far.

------------------

ELSO