Welcome home, shorty!

sheltie dave

It's a girl! An original 1959 Raw Birch shorthorn, # 983, only ten off from Mungkiman's set. She probably will be named Lilly or Kathy, as she is becoming a member of the family.

The 15" woofer is an EV model 15W, serial no. 16769.

The midrange is a University SAHF.

The tweeter is an EV T35, 16 ohm, serial A unit.

All of the screws are untouched, no marks where someone backed them out and then reinstalled them. It bums me out a little, as one of the speakers is blown and I will have to do the dishonor for the first time in her life.

Her previous owner was a true gentleman and even tried to give her to me. I bought a McIntosh C20 in gorgeous condition as well, so I'm sitting down to figure out what I want to sell to relieve the pressure of having too much stuff. I think the Crown Power Line 4 and the Apt Holman preamp will be on the launching pad shortly.

One of my friends stopped by and dropped of a few of his father's NOS EL34s, and shortly after that, Alan called from ten minutes away. He and his wife came up from St. Genevieve with oak Scott cases for Taylor and me. What a very happy day!1.gif1.gif Pictures to follow...

Larry, there is a stamped small K that I missed yesterday, which makes it a 15 WK.

For getting in to the enclosure and figuring which speaker is blown, we think there are only two screws driven through wing ears just forward of the "L" mounting brackets. Is this correct?

Also, what method would you recommend for isolating the blown speaker? We can do the "turn it on and listen closely" method perfected in college, but if there is a kinder, gentler method that involves less risk, I'm all for learning it before we could do more damage than the historical current situation.

I have to finish out the current roll of film before we hit Walgreens - we are only 10 shots into a 36 exposure roll, so I'm looking at another two days before photos will be thrown on here.

Dave,

Congrats on the addition to your family. If you remove the side grills, there should be 6 screws (3 per side) that come from the rear to hold on the front frame and grill. Once you remove the front frame and grill, there are a number of screws (maybe 12) from the front holding the motorboard to the cabinet. Be careful when you remove the motorboard as the wire from the binding posts to the crossover is rather short.

I think the "college" method of identifying your blown speaker is just fine. If you have a multi-meter, you could check the DCR on all components. Some people use a battery to test some drivers. Hopefully someone more technically minded will speak up.

Enjoy your project.

Chris

Chris, it took about ten minutes to get Kathy completely broken down. The EV 15WK woofer is blown, so I'm looking for that or the Stephens as a replacement. I don't know if it is a 16 ohm or an 8 ohm, but I should figure it out in the morn. I have the conventional Klipsch crossover, and I will have plenty of photos posted on Wednesday.

Where are your crossovers labeled like that. I can look again to see if mine are tucked in an obscure point.

Dave,

Sorry to hear it's the woofer. Maybe someone here can help.

I believe that the EV15WK was 8 Ohm, and these Stephens Tru-Sonics are 16 Ohms. That's why I was asking about the networks. If they were the same, I might try some K-33-E's in mine, and expect you would have good results with them as well.

The crossover type is listed on the speaker labels, and stamped into the metal plate on the front of the base of the network. K-1000-5000 is ink printed before the stampings on the plate.

These crossovers are "handwound". Is that what you meant by "conventional"?

Chris

Thanks for the location tip, Chris. The crossover network is a K 1000-5000-w, with D 33 stamped exactly where you described. The owner 4x6 card on the back right upper of the case has "W.5.33" hand written as well. If the woffer is in fact 8 ohms, then I can drop a K 43 15" in it and run, although it does drop to 4 ohms at spots. I won't be running Kathy too hard until I get the second up from New Orleans in the next couple weeks, and that one has all the newer horn components - k33,55, and 77.

I am going to dimension spec this one out and get the info to John Albright - the cabinet is easy enough to construct that most anyone could get a decent one if they had access to a good mitre saw.

You probably know this by now, but... the "K" in the "15-WK" (or 18-WK for that matter) means it has a voice coil with a 3.2 ohm or thereabouts resistance. When the speaker is put into a horn cabinet, like a Georgian, Patrician, Shorthorn or so on the cabinet loads the woofer and raises the impedance to 16 ohms. The famous Trusonics 103s had an "X" designation for the same purpose.

I tried putting 16 ohm Altec 515s in my Shorthorns once. It wasn't a happy match - unless you like shrill.2.gif

Bob, I haven't had much luck finding info on the 15WK. Is there a page or site for info, or did you figure out what you know from poking and prodding? Any info you know about these - I would love to learn more. Frzn said there is a good place in Florida for reconing. Have you had any luck with getting vintage woofers reconed? I sent you a pm about other questions.

Thanks

Dave,

I enjoy the wealth of information found at www.hifilit.com. The following page contains info about 15-WK woofers:

http://www.hifilit.com/hifilit/Electro-Voice/119-5.jpg

Let me know if you want to "borrow" a Jensen P15LL or University C15W as a temporary arrangement. If you wanted to pay shipping both ways, and were willing to return the "loaner" upon demand, I would be happy to send one to you. Shipping could be expensive as I live in Oregon. Give it some thought.

Chris

Somewhere, I've got an original flyer for the 15-wk. I'll try to track it down this weekend and post it here (if I can figure out how.)

I've got three different versions of the 15-Wk in St. Louis - big magnet with chrome bow-tie and paper surround, humongous magnet with paper surround, and bow-tie with phenolic surround. I'm not using them any more, so if you're interested, let me know.

If you want to get yours reconed, I recommend Spectrum Sound at (314) 438-1791. He's in North County near Jamestown Mall. (I'm assuming you're near St. Louis and know where that is.) Lloyd does beautiful work and sometimes even has NOS parts.

Uh, what's a "pm" and how do I find it? (I realize this reveals the rather pathetic level of my computer literacy.)

15.gif

Bob, I have heard rumours of someone in town that knew quite a bit about shorthorns, but I didn't realize it was you! I have a second shorthorn that has been converted with cornerhorn guts, and I want to chat with you about a possible conversion back to original. PM is a personal message, I'll send you a second with my phone #. Click on "My Profile" in the middle of the top Klipsch Forums.

We live in south county at Telegraph and 255.

• 4 weeks later...