Scott 299B - Transformers - Lams - Differences

mobile homeless

Although I was going to stay out of this crazy subject here goes .... The 299B has no less then 3 different setups. You have the amp with the Mid size transformers. This one does not have the same size/type as the 222C I myself could careless what the part numbers are or whatever they all sound very similar ! Why does one have to micro analyze all this ??

The 299B with the 222C transformers are so huge you have trouble adjusting the Bias balance because the tranformers are almost touching each other and the right channel is over top of the right balance control. I like the smaller transformers very slightly better. The 222C transformer seems to lack transparency by a very slight margin compared to the smaller versions. But whatever version you have WILL sound very good if done correctly !!

RICK................... What type of caps are in this ?? I hope not the Russian paper caps !! These are some resistive caps compared to the russian films are my cap analyzer. I bet Kelly will like them because they act similar to Jensons on my tester.

Craig

Ryan,

I tested everyone of the goodalls and much to my surprise they test perfect zero resistance/leakage ! I do wonder about using 30 or 40 year old caps something just makes me wonder what sitting there has done to them. The Russian Paper capacitors scare the sh!t out of me I dont care how they sound. They are put together cheap as hell compared to the Russian film and foils and are leaky as hell on the resistance test. I mean the needle drops like a rock too scary for me ! no other cap I have ever seen drops like they do even the Jensons PIO's are a slow and gradual drop and a small amount this is instantanous and huge in comparision ! I would watch it if you decide to use them. I have a 150 of various values if anyone os interested. I have .1 uF , .22 uF and .05 uF all @600V or above.

Craig

----------------

On 1/30/2004 2:51:29 PM DeanG wrote:

I feel like I just stepped in a Highlights magazine puzzle.

----------------

I know what you mean. I'm looking for a dog with a brick, a train, a PG&E meter reader, and cigarette smoke. I've found 'em all except the train.

Help?

Anyone?

Forrest

----------------

On 1/30/2004 9:33:12 PM Kudret wrote:

Craig, Do you have any Russian 0.047 capacitors, some of those green (or was it metallic grey) ones that I got from you some time ago?

Kudret
----------------

I wish !! Sorry I can't help you !!

Craig

Ryan,

I'll take your word for it on the Good-all. If I cut one open then I wouldn't have enough for Taylors amp. I bet they do sound good. The paper caps were leaking like this at 600V !! I don't trust them myself last thing I need is massive transformer failures.

Craig

Ryan, you've got mail.....

Also, I had my amps mixed up. I got 3 amps in the last week, 299-b, LK-72 and a Fisher 500-C. the LK-72 is the cigarette smoke deposit monster. The 299-b is relatively clean, but got a lot of stuff on the chassis. looks like somebody over the years tried to use liquid automotive rubbing compound to polish up the chassis, it's kinda messy. The original factory lit that came with it calls out 6BL8 splitters, the HH Scott website thinks that's a 299a. the trannys aren't stamped, but the factory pic in the manual shows them ink-stamped as TRA-8-5. they have the big groove.

Ryan,

I haven't check Taylor's cans yet I bet there fine also ! You want to hear a good one I have the LK150 on the bench and all 3 cans 30/30 @ 500V Malory FP test absolute perfect on my cap analyzer I mean better then brand new JJ cans for leakage. This amp has been in constant use as far as I know. What a thumper by the way slightly more rolled and vintage sounding then my amps or the Mark III's of mine. But very pleasant you would never think you were listening to a KT88/6550 amp. Its to bad he shorted one of the Tungsols and the other 3 are toast basically this is what was wrong with the amp the output tubes were taking a dump. Well besides the worse soldering job I have ever seen for a Scott Kit amp you tap the chassis and get static out the speakers from the cold solder joints. I haven't scoped it yet but if the size of the Iron means anything this baby should do fairly well in the audible range but I bet its rolled on the bottom and top with square waves by the way it sounds to the ear. I disagree about square waves by the way I can tell how a amp will perform from the square wave results to some extent and vise-a-versa. Although not the last word its pretty much a across the board thing so far.

Craig