Classroom installation of Klipsch

Marvel

I convinced one of my co-workers to try some Klipsch CA-8T speakers for mutimedia use in some classrooms we are setting up. We had been using Bose. We had them set up to test all of our hookups and remotes, with some tunes playing. He stopped what he was working on and just said "Those REALLY sound good!" Pretty nice, very nice in fact. 'Bout had them all together and we decided to use Crestron contollers for the automation. We have to make it simple. You push one button and all the routing and switching is done for whatever -- play a DVD, display a laptop, play a VHS tape. The Crestron stuff is pricey, but it will simplify our lives a lot. Still gonna use the Klipsch. He is sold on those now.

Marvel

The classroom is a lot smaller than a gym. The CA-8T speakers only have an 8 inch woofer. Still has the horn driver for the high end. There is just so much more detail in tha audio. Klipsch has plenty of larger stuff for commercial installs, and the price isn't too bad considering what the commercial Bose stuff seems to run. Gyms are hard -- big open space with hard surfaces. The reverberation would be awful.

Marvel

The college I work at is on top of Lookout Mountain. We are just over the line into Georgia, just South of Chattanooga, TN. The system is actually being installed in a downtown Chattanooga set of classrooms. We were testing with a Crown XLS202, but the final system will only have a 30 watt per channel amp. I don't know if Crestron makes the amp or not. We will have a lectern with equipment in it, and a control box (you can get touch panels, but ours will have less costly push buttons). Audio and video are routed through CAT5 cable up to the projector and power amp. We have Monster Plenum rated speaker cable going back to the speakers, one on each side of the screen.

Crestron has some really amazing control stuff. We just can't afford it at the college. This is going in where our degree completion program is located, and they wanted it to be nice. I know that you don't need a lot of volume in a classroom, or you will annoy the neighbors. Most of the students are already working in management, but never got their degree. They don't sound like LaScalas, but they work well.

Maybe when we get the install finished, I can get John Albright down to give a listen as well. For the money we are putting in, we are pretty happy. I don't have the total cost figures here at home, but would be happy to give the costs and post some pics.

Marvel

My son went to a private school and the speakers they had in the combination auditorium/lunch room were Klipschorns hanging from the rafters by chains. No corners/ no cloth/ no veneer. Just big ugly boxes hanging facing down at about a 30 degree angle. They were a little bass shy but still sounded great. I wonder if I donate a Bose set that could be moved around, if they would trade?