Dish Network or Direct TV and other DBS??

BLOOMIS914

Well, this outght to spice things up a bit....I am in New Hampshire on business and stopped in the local Tweeter in Portsmouth and got talking about Dish vs. Direct TV. The young sales guy seemed pretty sharp but caught me off guard with the following statement when I told him I was leeaning towards Dishnetwork.

He said "be careful with Dish Network service because they do not provide all digital service, in fact, many stations/channels are broadcast in analog format and will look no better than your current cable"...he went on to say that "all Direct TV channels are broadcast in digital format and will provide a better overall picture quality than DishNetwork"...Is this true, or just another retail sales guy spouting off because Tweeter only sells DirectTV?

For those that live in NH, the Portsmouth Tweeter has a pair of RP-5's Demo's for $995. The cabinets look like they been through a few frat parties but they did sound impressive for $995 especially if you are Powered tower fan.

------------------

My main Klipsch system:

KLF-30's Bi-wired

KLF-C7

KSP-S6's

KSW-15 Front Sub

KSW-100 Rear Sub

Monster cable 14 gauge in-wall cable

Niles wall plates

Marantz SR-8000

Toshiba SD-4205 5 DVD changer

Pioneer PDF-1007 301-CD changer

Mitsubishi 35"

Mitsubishi VCR

Pioneer VSX-608 Multi-room amp for Outdoor deck

Polk All-weather AW2's deck speakers

Niles in-wall volume controls

Fridge full of beer and plenty of Don Julio, Jagermeister and Jim Beam

Bloomis,

Don Julio and Jager? You know how to party! I am a bit partial to Herradura Reposado myself.

I think the reference to the picture being better with Direct TV is not fair. My inlaws have Direct TV in Grand Rapids Michigan and my Dish looks better in Livonia Michigan.

The music appears to be a much higher quality with Dish. I really like the classic rock channel.

We should have a beer some time. We must only live 15 minutes apart.

Ray,

You have a raw deal. I am at 48k on AOL. The DSL option seems to be a few years away from being "turn key". 14k would make me nuts.

I am receiving my 4 local network affiliates through both DirecTV and an attic antenna (my local CBS affiliate comes in lousy through my antenna, so I paid the $6 a month to DirecTV mainly to get that one clear). In comparing my clear NBC channel on my antenna to the feed from DirecTV, the antenna signal is both brighter and sharper. I also see a lot of digital "artifacts" on those 4 local channels coming from the satellite that are not seen on any other satellite channels. I am assuming therefore that all those other channels are either digital or just a "better" digital (is that possible?) signal than the 4 network affiliates...

PhilH

Just a side note. AT&T (Bastards!) finally got me to buy into their broadband internet, and let me tell you it took months to get it hooked up right. I spent probably 15 hours on the phone with these no-nothings.

After 6 months of service, they decided to jack up their prices by over 20%!! All without a reason or notice, mind you. I call to complain, and the phones aren't working due to technical difficulties. Imagine that, AT&T has technical difficulties. What a stunner!

T-man

------------------

KG 5.5 (mains)

KG 2.2v (center)

KG 1 (rears)

KSW-12 (sub)

Denon AVR 681/1601

Toshiba SD-3109 DVD

Kenwood LVD700 LD

Sony CD changer

Sony 27" Trinitron

Sony PLX I

hey gang! i've got to jump back in--the store i work at only offers directv-i have dishnetwork-.dish has more hd channels, and is most likely to add more, because they have more channel (bandwidth) capacity than directv. they are more innovative and consumer oriented. their digital satellite receivers have always used MPEG 2 decoding (whereas directv started out using mpeg 1 then upgraded). all signals come down to your dish digitally, but one of the reasons your local channels on sat. look Eyes.gif different is because they are analog feeds that are weaker than the sat feeds that they show/convert to digital and uplink, and they convert those local feeds to digital, there are no more or less digital (origin) channels on directv than dish, that was bull****. i hate guys who sell like that, thus the puke dude at the beginning of this post--btw-did you know that bose drivers are made of PAPER!? avman. Smile.gif