What should I get next?

cdsang

Well I am saving up money for something new for my system. Right now other then the stuff on my sig, I have a Samsung 14 inch TV. I am thinking of either a new TV from Toshiba. A 32 inch(and nothing bigger)flat screen, but I dunno if I want to jump to HDTV. Well I don't care to spend much more then $1200. My other thought may be an SVS PB-2 or Plus version. Maybe a Denon 3803 which I can get for a nice deal because I only have 5.1 and no DTS. By the way my room is about 13 by 11 feet. I play videogames and listen to music more of then watch movies. What would you get if you were in my shoes? Thank you in advance.

CD

i was looking over your set up, your speaks look great, you really dont need to upgrade the sub, especially for your size room, your 1 weak point IS your dvd player. i speak from experience, if you will have 8-900 to spend go with either the yammi 2300, or denon 2900. the difference in sound is there, plus when you do watch movies you will see a huge difference, in sound and picture, plus cd is great, sacd, dvd-a, all current formats just sound great12.gif

NOT me, I guess I would identify the weak spots in your home movie and music reproduction system. I would get a Test CD and a Radio Shack SPL meter and see how flat your frequency response is in the room. That should tell you where to make the improvements.2.gif

video games on a 14" TV?!? If the majority of your time is spent on videogames, the bigger TV would make such an incredible difference. If you're hoping to go HDTV in the future, you could skip out on the flatscreen and go with a normal 36" TV...and if you're willing to spend $1200, you'll good have money left over for a DVD player or reciever or watever it is you're looking to upgrade with the sound.

I would upgrade the TV

I am a college student and play many many x-box games :-)

Nothing beats a big TV + surround sound.

If you aren't looking at HDTVs I am sure you could get a great deal on a TV and have plenty of money left over.

I am int he same situation I have some money and I am getting ready to upgrade my system, I am thinking about a power conditioner, that maybe a possibility for you too. But first get a bigger TV :-)

Here's another vote for upgrading your TV. 14" just doesn't cut it. I have a Toshiba 36" HDTV ready myself and I can tell you it has a terrific picture with digital cable.

Is your DVD player a progressive scan model? If not that should be next on your list. Then maybe a new receiver. I'm not wild about Yamaha with Klipsch but to each his own.

Well it seems the TV vote wins. So I guess my next thing is, which TV? I am really thinking of makeing the jump to the HDTV 32 inch. I think the model number is 32HF73. That is about as big as I can go in my room and my setup. Any sugestions on any other 32 HDTV that may be better for the money? I don't want to go lower then this in quailty thou. Also I would like to thank everyone for your answers so far.

CD

----------------

On 2/3/2004 10:20:12 AM gcoker wrote:

I gave my opinion on another thread about HDTV but I will

state it again, in my opinion the best picture is the CRT's Sony XBR's.

They are typically on the top of the price but it's worth it.

----------------

My parents have the Sony 36XBR450 and I have the Toshiba 36HF72. I have to say I think the picture on mine is every bit as good and maybe even slightly better than theirs.

Now the sound is where the Sony hands down blows away my Toshiba. But that doesn't matter when I'm using my surround system.

That being said, you have my dream TV gcoker.

Unfortunately the 40" Sony was over $3000 on sale when I thought (long sad story) my Mitsubishi was dying. So I ended up buying the Tosh for $1600.