OT: Car Audio

DwK

Klipsch = Gods of HT

??????? = Gods of Car Audio?

Who makes the best Car speakers? Kenwood? RockfordFosgate? Sony? WHOO??

Who makes the best Car Amplifiers?

And who makes the good AFFORDABLE stuff?

------------------

Living Room:

Yamaha Natural Sound A-500 Stereo Amplifier

2 Klipsch Heresys on A switch

2 Fisher STV-873 on B switch

My Room:

Klipsch Pro Medias

2 Fisher Surrounds

Why hasnt our good friends at Klipsch gotten into the Car Audio Biz?

I think they could do quite nicely.

------------------

Living Room:

My Room:

Klipsch Pro Medias

2 Fisher Surrounds

Well as a long time car audio nut.........I can tell you that if you want the very best for your car, go with Orion amps and speakers. They are completely bulletproof....but they are not cheap. I had almost $4000 invested in my 10 speaker 500 watt system that was all Orion amps and speakers and Sony Deck and CD Changer. I had an Orion 275sx, 300 watts, powering an 12" XTR woofer in a dual bandpass box. My front stage was 3 seperate speakers on each side consisting of 6.5" mid-bass, 4" mid-range, and 1" tweeters all running off of an Orion 250sx at 100 watts per side, my rear fill speakers where 4" mid-range, and 1" tweeters running off of the Sony deck. Now all power ratings are RMS with no clipping or distortion at all. That was one great system that you could hear coming for miles....and it was completely clean and LOUD.

------------------

Home Theater System:

Klipsch Quartets - mains for both systems

Klipsch KV3 - center

Klipsch KG.5's - rear surrounds

Klipsch KSW12 subwoofer

Denon AVR-1601

JVC 36D201 36" TV

JVC HR-S3600 SVHS Player

JVC XV-M565BK DVD Player

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2100 Digital Cable box

Music System:

Adcom GFA-555 Musical Concepts Modified

NAD 1600 Pre/Tuner

Sony C-67ES CD Player

Playstation 2

Monster Power HTS-2000

MIT Speaker Cable

RS Gold Interconnects

Monster S-Video and Component Cables

MRam-

Yeah, I can hear you all the way over here in NY! Three questions: How big a car do you have? I couldn't possibly fit that much stuff in my car. I think I would need something like a '68 Buick to hold that much stuff; OK, you spent four grand on a car stereo--how much did you spend on the car? Lastly, have you had your hearing checked lately? I haven't spent that much money (yet) on my home system, and it can make my ears bleed if I want it to! Why would anyone need 500 watts in a car?

Sorry, I'm an opinionated SOB, and sometimes it gets the best of me. You can just ignore me. I'll just be sitting over here, picking the wax out of my ears with my ignition key...cwm22.gif

This message has been edited by Mr. Blorry on 06-22-2001 at 09:43 AM

Well, I'll probobly end up getting stuff from my friends at school or going to Car Toyz and listening to stuff.

Last year, one of my friends had a 800 watt Amp on sale for 180$.

My friends car has probobly a 1000+ audio system (not inlcuding the 500+ on subs). Kenwood Deck (prety nice), Blue Tornado (Sony, or Kenwood, cant remember) speakers in front and back. Kenwood Tweeters (2) in the front. 2 12 inch Woofers (cant remember the wattage), And he had 3 amps runnning it. 1 for each woofer, and 1 for the inside speakers, + his deck.

His system HIT. He would turn on the Bass thing, where it like multiplys the BASS by 10... damn it hit.

He was going to sell me his car ( 94 Sentra ) with out the subs for 3000$ next year (when school starts again)

I would like to get 2, Twelves for the trunk.

Who makes good Subwoofers for a good price?

I cant spend 4000$ on my car system, MABY I can spend 1000$.

What I need:

2 Speakers in front.

2 Speakers in back.

2 Twelves in trunk.

Deck w/CD player.

AMp for Subs

Amp for Front or Rear speakrs (or both)

I would be willing to spend, 250$ on 2 pairs of speakers.

About 80 on a sub.

About 200-300 on the deck.

100-150 on the Amps.

Thats, about 1000$ right now.

So any suggestions for speakers in that price range?

Right now my car audio system is more important than my Home system.

Since I'm 16, and live at home with 2 Heresys.

------------------

Living Room:

My Room:

Klipsch Pro Medias

2 Fisher Surrounds

Well when I first built the system it was in my '89 Chevy S-10 Blazer, then when I got rid of that I transfered the whole system over to the Chevy Z-24 I bought.

My hearing is really shitty.......LOL

I have hearing damage done from a number of things over my lifetime....including many concerts, home stereo, and car stereo.

500 watts in a car audio system is really not a big deal at all.....I always wanted to replace my amps with Orion 2150sx amps.....600 mono and 300 stereo (both rms) but I never had the $800 each for the amps..or the room for them. You really have to think about all the noise in a vehicle when you are driving down the highway that you don't have in your living room. In my truck right now I have a 40watt x4 Alpine amp with a 80 watt powered sub and that is really the bare minumum that I would go.

------------------

Home Theater System:

Klipsch Quartets - mains for both systems

Klipsch KV3 - center

Klipsch KG.5's - rear surrounds

Klipsch KSW12 subwoofer

Denon AVR-1601

JVC 36D201 36" TV

JVC HR-S3600 SVHS Player

JVC XV-M565BK DVD Player

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2100 Digital Cable box

Music System:

Adcom GFA-555 Musical Concepts Modified

NAD 1600 Pre/Tuner

Sony C-67ES CD Player

Playstation 2

Monster Power HTS-2000

MIT Speaker Cable

RS Gold Interconnects

Monster S-Video and Component Cables

I have been into car audio for over 20 years and have seen and heard alot of systems over the years. I even competed on the IASCA circuit in the Novice and Amateur classes for a couple of years. I even went to a contest near Myram in Portland, ME (Pinetree Audio). I currently just put a new system in my 2001 Pontiac Grand AM GT. I will have to agree with Myram when in comes to amplification Orion is one of the best. Their 225 HCCA amplifier is the most winningest amp in IASCA history. I am current using their XTR 800.4 to run my whole system I run my fronts (Orion NT5S) and rears (Eclipse 8993 Point Source) off one set of channels, and the Subwoofer of the other set bridged. Power is 200 X 2@2 Ohms for the fronts, and 400X1@4Ohms for the 12" Cadence Solo Subwoofer. Orion was purchased by a/d/s a few years ago and some of there technology has been used in Orion products. Another brand that his since gone downhill was HiFonics, their Series VIII amplifiers are some of the best ever built particularly their platinum series ISIS and Ulysses. I am running a Kenwood KDC-PS909 pre-amp only head unit with balanced 8V outputs, feeding a Kenwood KDS-P110 DSP/Parametric Eq the sound is very clean through the entire volume range. Orion components are going pretty cheap right now on eBay you can get the state of the art HCCA components for next to nothing now, and the amplifiers are fairly reasonable too. Just my two cents cwm11.gif

------------------

Sony KP-43T70 43" Television

Denon AVR 3300 A/V Receiver (LF/RF) (LWE-I's w/Motion Feedback - Walnut)

Yamaha M-80 Auto Class A Amplifier (LF/RF) (Belle's - Oak Clear)

DBX BX-2 2/3/4 Channel Power Amplifier (RR/ARR/LR/ALR) (Heresy II's & ESS Mini's - Walnut)

DBX MPA-150 Mono Split Spectrum Amplifier © (KV-4 - Black)

Klipsch KSW-15 Powered Subwoofer

Nakamichi DVD-10 DVD/LCD/CD Player

Nakamichi MB-10 Music Bank CD Changer

Technics SL-DL5 DDLinear Tracking Turntable

JVC HR-S7500U SVHS Video Cassette Recorder

VC3 Deluxe Video Clarifier

DBX 400XG Program Route Selector

DBX 120X-DS Subharmonic Synthesizer/Crossover

DBX 3BX-DS 3-Band Dynamic Range Controller (2) (1-LC) (1-RC)

DBX 14/10 14-Band Computerized Equalizer/RTA Analyzer/SPL Meter

Panamax 1000+ Surge Protector/Line Conditioner

• 2 weeks later...

Image Dynamics makes some great speakers. Currently have two 12's (IDQ) and can't believe how much better they sounded than my old Rockford Fosgates. They also have component sets that feature horn loaded compression drivers. If you like your klipsch speakers than take a look at these. Eclipse makes good speakers but are a little more pricey. For a amp I second orion. Phoenix Gold and Rockfords old black and red BBQ style amps are also good. Kenwood, alpine and eclipse are some good decks to take a look at.

what if i just want to add a good powerful sub to my existing system?

nothing hifi, just powerful.

the system is a run-of-the-mill one on my subaru outback sport (can't remember the brand), so it's cheap and doesn't sound good but i'd like to have a big ol' sub to complement the killer looks of the car.

so i'd need the sub plus the box plus the amplification.

how much am i looking at? i'm in quebec and don't really want to run to exotic car audio dealers to get what i need. i just need some BASS because the system as is is very much bass-shy.

------------------

'cuz not a lot of people have ever said

"Pump up the treble!"

I was just wondering.. has anyone heard the HSU Research car sub? It says that in a Corvette they got 120 dB at 12 Hz, but thats in a Corvette, so how good would it be in a midsize car? Also, its not just loudness that I want all the time. Is this a quality sub?

Thanks everyone for all the replys

I will deffenialty be looking at Orion AMps.

ANd my friend, bought two 12 inch Eclipse Subwoofers for his car. He said they were real good.

------------------

Living Room:

My Room:

Klipsch Pro Medias

2 Fisher Surrounds