RC25 - 6.1 or 2 x RB15 - 7.1 or ????

ukaussi

I am in the process of upgrading all my HT components, the first step was to replace my old very cheap 5.1 speaker setup with the following:-

Center - RC25 (3' high)

Fronts - RB15 (6' high, 1' from side walls)

Surrounds - RS25 (7' high, 3.5' from rear wall, 1' behind listening point)

Room is 19' long and 15' wide and uses a projector with 84" wide screen.

Screen width and windows on either side of screen meant placing front speakers very close to side walls.

AV equipment is on shelves on back wall.

This weekend I just received the new Yamaha RX-V1400 to replace my old Sony and wanted some advice on what setup would be best for the rear surround(s). I was wondering if the relatively small room could make use of 2 rear surrounds or whether it would be better to go with a single rear surround using another RC25.

I did read through some posts and most people seem to agree in NOT using RS25 in the rear so what do you recommend ?

6.1 - single RC25 or something else

7.1 - 2 x RB15

7.1 - 2 x RB15 and upgrade fronts to RB25 (too much for this size room ?)

Also, if I did use a single RC25 would it be better to mount it high up at same level as side surrounds or maybe at a lower level, say 4', similar to front center ?

Thanks for any advice 9.gif

In a 6.1 set up use either the RC or RB as your

rear center and set it about the same height as your surrounds.

In a 7.1 set up I would place your RB15 to the rear and use larger

25 or 35 for your mains. Don't worry about any mains overpowering

you area. If you can swing it go for the RB75 6.gif

Some extra info:-

- Budget is limited as wife already "had a cow" when she saw that I spent over $1000 on speakers. Wanted to keep cost down below $300 if possible.

- room is shared with the 2 very young kids so there is a low 3' high bookshelf along the front wall below screen with a regular TV on the shelf in one corner so RF's are out.

- height of fronts and center is pretty much fixed due to projector screen and kids TV in corner.

- if front speakers too big the aforementioned "cow" will probably get a brother/sister 7.gif

I noticed so far that you both agreed on regular front facing RF/RC speakers as opposed to the dispersion type RS for rear center surrounds, is there any main reason for this ?

How about the height of these, would it not be better that they are closer to height of front center ?

Would love to get bigger RF25/35 in front so may look to buy used.

----------------

On 2/4/2004 7:10:07 PM ukaussi wrote:

Some extra info:-

- Budget is limited as wife already "had a cow" when she saw that I spent over $1000 on speakers. Wanted to keep cost down below $300 if possible.

- room is shared with the 2 very young kids so there is a low 3' high bookshelf along the front wall below screen with a regular TV on the shelf in one corner so RF's are out.

- height of fronts and center is pretty much fixed due to projector screen and kids TV in corner.

- if front speakers too big the aforementioned "cow" will probably get a brother/sister
7.gif

I noticed so far that you both agreed on regular front facing RF/RC speakers as opposed to the dispersion type RS for rear center surrounds, is there any main reason for this ?

How about the height of these, would it not be better that they are closer to height of front center ?

Would love to get bigger RF25/35 in front so may look to buy used.

----------------

If you can, why don't you get a pair of RF25/35 and place the RB15 in the back? 9.gif

Btw the room size's fine for it, I've RC-3II as the center and gonna get Ref 3II/35 series with smaller room. I also just read the post that TheEar has 4RF7 and 2RF5 at that similar to your room size(with 1X of sub? 9.gif ) Worry about nothing but just be aware of your wife may kick you out of the home once you get some too great speakers

If you can't afford that, pick a RC3II/RC35 and switch it to new front center and bring the RC-25 to the back(You usually can some find RC3II used or even brand new for 230@eBay)

I say use the RS for the rear center.....

You are trying to duplicate the movie theater which has several speakers on the rear wall just like the side wall....so you want to simulate a wall of sound not a point of sound....

Good luck

I guess I should have also read Klipsch's own FAQ as they agree with using same as front center for rear center etc:-

"What is the rear center channel for and what type of speaker should I use?

The rear center channel is a recent extension of both Dolby Digital and DTS 5.1 processing, called EX and ES respectively. It is based on the same principle as the front center channel which is to "localize" sounds in the center of the soundstage or give them a distinct area they are appear to come from, filling in the sound gap between the left and right rear channels. Therefore, the same type of speaker used for the front center may be used for the rear center. Because of the need to "localize" the sound to the center, a monopole center channel speaker is usually the best choice. Some electronics offer the option of using TWO rear center speakers. What will sound best is dependent on the size of the room and what type of surround speakers you choose. WDST surrounds generally do not require the addition of a rear center, but adding one enhances the localization of events in the rear sound field. "

Based on this plus your responses above and digging around the forum I think I am going to get some RB25 (or used RB35) and put them up front and move the RB15's to the rear center surround positions. Just need to find some good prices or used ones2.gif