Your Next Sub Amp - 8000 watts!!!!!!!

minn_male42

crown has a new series of amps... the I-Tech series... the top of the line is the I-T8000... this amp will bridge to 8000 watts at 8 ohms!!!!

it has direct digital input with built in dsp processing.... equalization, delay, etc....

list price is only $7685..... i priced one through some of my connections in the business and i could get one for under $5,000....

all of this in a 2 rack space... only 3.5" high and weighs in at 28 lbs.....

the perfect amp for your new svs B4 Plus which can take peaks of up to 10,000 watts.....

http://www.crownaudio.com/itech/specs.htm

I-T8000-reflect-lz.jpg

Dude look at the specs it looks like a monster at 8Ohms and it is,but it drops its output into a 4 Ohms load! No not for me,I only buy amps that can double their outputs when loads get tougher and are cut in half. 2.gif

take a Krell FPB600 its "only" 600W RMS into 8 Ohms,after 1200W into 4 Ohms and 2400W into a 2 Ohms load.Per channel may I add

Who needs a giant whimp who starts losing steam at 4 Ohms 3.gif

If you really want the ultimate subwoofer amp the Krell MRA has no real challenger,it doubles its output until it reaches a arc welder like 0.5 Ohm and it can deliver 16000W RMS.Try this with your Crown,it will roast like a BBQ rib.

----------------

On 2/6/2004 12:46:28 AM kenratboy wrote:

Oh, and for home use, get something big, heavy, and hot. Don't pay for some German-made little transistor or whatever, unless you will be touring the Eastern Seaboard with it, who cares if its small
9.gif
----------------

now you're starting to sound like the ears.......

by the way...crown is made in the u.s.......

----------------

On 2/6/2004 12:29:48 AM TheEAR wrote:

Dude look at the specs it looks like a monster at 8Ohms and it is,but it drops its output into a 4 Ohms load! No not for me,I only buy amps that can double their outputs when loads get tougher and are cut in half.
2.gif

take a Krell FPB600 its "only" 600W RMS into 8 Ohms,after 1200W into 4 Ohms and 2400W into a 2 Ohms load.Per channel may I add

Who needs a giant whimp who starts losing steam at 4 Ohms
3.gif

If you really want the ultimate subwoofer amp the Krell MRA has no real challenger,it doubles its output until it reaches a arc welder like 0.5 Ohm and it can deliver 16000W RMS.Try this with your Crown,it will roast like a BBQ rib.----------------

well...."dude".... it doesn't matter if your amp becomes an "arc welder" at 0.5 ohms.... what matters is matching your amp with your speaker to achieve the most power output....

if i'm not mistaken... the svs B4 plus subwoofer is rated at 8 ohms impedance.... all that sub cares about is how much power it can get at 8 ohms.... 4 ohms and less are irrelavent to the sub....

so 8000 watts at 8 ohms will be a better match than your krell 600 watts at 8 ohms......

it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that out..... 8000 watts at 8 ohms.... name another amp that will do that "dude".... esp since the sub happens to be rated at 8 ohms......

----------------

On 2/6/2004 12:29:48 AM TheEAR wrote:

Dude look at the specs it looks like a monster at 8Ohms and it is,but it drops its output into a 4 Ohms load! No not for me,I only buy amps that can double their outputs when loads get tougher and are cut in half.
2.gif

Who needs a giant whimp who starts losing steam at 4 Ohms
3.gif

If you really want the ultimate subwoofer amp the Krell MRA has no real challenger,it doubles its output until it reaches a arc welder like 0.5 Ohm and it can deliver 16000W RMS.Try this with your Crown,it will roast like a BBQ rib.

----------------

Yawn. TheEAR is making us sleepy...

Sleep little baby don't say a word

TheEAR's gonna bore you with some specs he heard

And if those specs don't somnambulate

TheEAR will continue until the sun does break

Through your windows when you will groan,

"Sometimes, TheEAR, it's better to leave things alone."

BB

Want to know the trick of doubling output power into a lower impedance? Build an amp that's actualy capable of 140W into 8 ohms, 240W into 4, 400W into 2 ohms. Now call it 100W into 8 ohms, 200W into 4 and 400W into 2. You can make almost any amp look good in this respect by just lowering the 8 ohm spec. The laws of physics prevent any amp from ACTUALLY doubling power output but marketing found a way around it. This isn't to say that these amps with good specs aren't well built, desirable, etc. but arguing about an amp's "goodness" based on this specmanship is silly if you know what's really going on.

----------------

On 2/6/2004 2:09:34 PM yromj wrote:

We got into a discussion about this amp on another forum. Has anybody done the math on the 8000W? At 120V it would take 67A in a circuit w/o inductance. At 230W it would take 34A. I don't think it's intended for home use.
2.gif

John

----------------

A quote from the specification chart minn_male42 linked to:

Power Cord Connector: Standard 20 amp IEC inlet.

ITech_back-II.jpg

Looks like standard 120V.

FWIW

BB

hi all! i juz wana know, im confused with the whole ohms thing! if a sub with 8ohms has less power than say a 4ohms or 2ohms.. why doesnt juz all the speaker company make subs or speakers at 4 or 2ohms? i heard that the speaker amp or speaker works harder, which one is it>? i'm still confused... if the amp works harder then why dont they juz make all amps in 4ohms or 2ohms... or if its the speaker, why dont they juz make it all 2ohms or 4ohms...???

will it die out faster with lower ohms?

speakers and amps can be designed at any impedance.....

8 ohms is the current industry standard for consumer speakers....consequently, most consumer amps are designed for 8 amps....

alot of professional speakers and most professional amplifiers are designed to run at 4 ohms...

the only thing that matters is that your amp and your speakers match impedance.... an 8 ohm speaker with an 8 ohm amp....

one of the biggest concerns that you read about on these different forums is people trying to use receivers that are rated for 8 ohms trying to drive speakers that are rated for 4 ohms....... the result is receivers blowing fuses or worse...

additionally, another problem is that speakers do not have the same impedance across all frequencies.... an 8 ohm rating is stated as the "nominal" impedance...or the average impedance......

"it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that out..... 8000 watts at 8 ohms.... name another amp that will do that "dude".... esp since the sub happens to be rated at 8 ohms......"

Dude your 8KW output is bull,on a 20AMP dedicated circuit your little "8000W" amp will fall short,wayyyyy short of the claimed mark.

Bob Carver could also design such an amp,as Bob carver is the master of efficient amps,but again even efficient at 100% the 8 kilowatts claim would be a joke at best,with unless powered from a stove 240V outlet.

Dude

even if the 8000 watts is peak power which has an extremely fast recovery rate...... (if you had bothered to read the whole thread)..... if your peaks can recover fast enough then it seems just like "continuous".....

it might not be "continuous" power...but it is awfully damn close.....

and if you really are into a serious home theatre subwoofer....it would not take much to run a 240 volt line just for this amp to your home theatre room.... an electrician would charge you about $100 for that line if you couldn't do it yourself.... pretty minimal cost since you just spent about $5000 on the amp......

since you are the "king" of subwoofers..... (at least you claim)...i surprised that you haven't done this already... more power for your subs!!!!

it is still 7000 watts more than any overpriced krell that you worship "dude".....

this amp at 8000 watts @ 8 ohms..... as well as the top line powerlight QSC amp that produces 9000 watts @ 4ohms...

the powerlight product has been available for several years now.....do you really think that they could market and sell that product successfully if it didn't live up to it's specs?????

professional users would not put up with that b.s......... they demand products that produce the stated power.... their reputations depend upon it.... and most pro amps are driven at least 80 to 90 percent of their power ratings in normal usage.....

you might buy your mighty krell MRA rated at only 1000 watts at 8 ohms.... and never use more than 200 watts in a typical home setting..... so who really cares?.... you spent $120,000 on an amp that you use only 20% of it's capability.... if it only produced a real 300 watts...you would never know..... but don't worry...you can still brag to your friends and everyone online that you have this "ultimate" krell amp.... everyone will still be impressed....

pro users use all of their amps' capabilities.....if they need 8000 watts for an application and they don't get it .... pretty soon crown no longer sells that amp..... as far as i know...that has never happened to any product crown has ever introduced...

not to mention that this amp has digital inputs as well as built-in digital signal processing including equalization, 9 different filters, delay, compression, and limiters...all controllable from the front panel..... you can fine tune your sub (or speakers) in the digital domain with no noise added to the signal....

crown and qsc make some very solid amps.....

crest had some reliability issues a few years back, but they seem to have turned things around....

personally i use an amp from carver professional to power my KLF-30's.... it's a digital amp based on the tripath chip.... a carver professional ZR1000.....

i have not heard or sold any of the pro amps from yamaha...1.gif

Dude(Homer),

I have FOUR 15AMP and two 20AMP lines dedicated to my Klipsch HT setup.This is plenty O juice for a 10*14 room,DUDE.

My Krell MRA post was a sarcastic one,as a $120000 for two amps these are not within reach and at nearly 700lbs apiece they are not practical at all.

And I do not worship any amp,a woman may be worthy of worship...not any amp.

Now Dude cool down,run as cool as your 8000 MBO Watts Crown 2.gif