Polk speakers came

easylistener

A couple of you guys where waiting to here from me about my father and his polks. He received them a couple of days ago and I took a listen the other night. Very nice speakers. I only wish klipsch had build quility like these. We are comparing them to his Forte's. They sound very similair but lack the very open horn sound. They are very close in sound then you would think. The bass and mid range are so very nice. Three 7 inch woofers do a great job with the bass. Over all they are not bright at all like the 7's were, with some type of music. They are not as effiecent as the klipsch so it will take a little more power to drive them as hard. The center channel he got with the RTi12's was huge. It is ported in the front and two in the rear.

We played all types of music and movies on them. DVD-A and DVD concerts sounded so much better then his old surround setup(which did not include the fortes). Imaging was very good. Clapton and BB dvd-a was a awsome demo and he still has my disc11.gif

All in all He seems to happy with the system and he is still thinking of selling his forte's. I know this is not a polk forum and I am not trying to start a flame war. I am writting this for the people that are interstade in audio and all types of speakers and systems out there.

----------------

On 2/8/2004 6:27:55 PM easylistener wrote:

Very nice speakers. I only wish klipsch had build quility like these. Not me,I blew my polks up,tri lam tweeter and 1 8"woofer,at volumes where the 7's just start to really kick in.I do hope your dad enjoys them and has good luck but build quality is more than what you can see,beware party volume for extended time.

E.L.,

Those newer Polks do really look nice. I like that tall, lean style. I've never heard newer ones, though. I think the last ones I heard were way back in the "sonic holography" days. I've read a lot of good things about some of their smaller RT's.

I gotta take issue with the assertion they'll play as loud and clean as klipsch. Compare sensitivity. I think RF7's are up around 100db. The Polks are probably around 90db. So, assuming a 100W/channel receiver driving the klipsch, you'd have to have about 1067W to pump into the Polks to equal the klipsch output with 100W. Good luck finding a 1000W receiver or some speakers that'll handle that w/o breaking! Of course, I would imagine the Polks are quite capable of playing loud enough when fed with adequate power.

I'd like to hear some of the new Polks sometime. They would seem to offer a lot of value.