LaScala porting mods ? Pictures anyone ?

BackBurner

I feel your pain Marvel, we've got so many projects going on here that it's hard to get to them all. Got the type AA's on the bar counter waiting for the mod's. Haven't really finished the entertainment center. Need to finish the shelving in the bedroom closet etc etc. Ordered the 4 inch tubes from partsexpress and they got backordered. At least the project seems to be going forward.

Good luck, and what is your project? Secrets kill me. Randy

Randy,

Building these would be like adding a room onto my house, but I want to build a pair of the split Altec 201 cabinets. So instead of two 15" woofers per side, there is only one per side. The cabinets are 60" tall, 17" wide and 39" (!!!) deep. The high freq. horn goes on top of that (or some other configuration). Fornt loaded woofer (well, Frye used a 64 sq. inch port in the back). I wrote to him to ask about different woofers and he said "I haven't had a 15" driver that has not worked well in

these cabinets."

Been working with a cabinet maker at the school where I work, to figure out construction plans. Throwing ideas around, that sort of thing.

http://www.users.qwest.net/~ccfrye/index.htm

If you go to Mike Frye's web site, he has drawings from Altec, but I got better ones of of the Lansing Heritage site.

...and, I still need to redo my daughters room before she gets home from college in May, need to get shelves built in our storage barn. I can't even get my desk cleaned off right now, so I don't know how I can manage anything else.

I could relax and just keep the Heresies. Not that I will get rid of them, but at least they FIT into my house without too much of a complaint.

Marvel

----------------

On 2/22/2004 4:42:06 PM Marvel wrote:

Randy,

Building these would be like adding a room onto my house, but I want to build a pair of the split Altec 201 cabinets. So instead of two 15" woofers per side, there is only one per side. The cabinets are 60" tall, 17" wide and 39" (!!!) deep. The high freq. horn goes on top of that (or some other configuration). Fornt loaded woofer (well, Frye used a 64 sq. inch port in the back). I wrote to him to ask about different woofers and he said "I haven't had a 15" driver that has not worked well in

these cabinets."

Been working with a cabinet maker at the school where I work, to figure out construction plans. Throwing ideas around, that sort of thing.

If you go to Mike Frye's web site, he has drawings from Altec, but I got better ones of of the Lansing Heritage site.

...and, I still need to redo my daughters room before she gets home from college in May, need to get shelves built in our storage barn. I can't even get my desk cleaned off right now, so I don't know how I can manage anything else.

I could relax and just keep the Heresies. Not that I will get rid of them, but at least they FIT into my house without too much of a complaint.

Marvel

----------------

Hey Marvel,

So you are thinking about building these mosters from scratch or are you looking to purchase an 201 and split it yourself? Either way you're not kidding about looking at alot of work! OY!

Thanks for the rug tip. Had my brother install carpet in our updated bedroom about two weeks ago and have some left over. Will work for temp but was hoping for a more permanent type solution maybe with some rollers or something? Our tv uses wheels and moves ok but I don't know about the weight of the lascalas and if that would work for them or not.

What needs does your daughters room have? Hoping you don't have much to do there.

Good luck, Randy

I think building from scratch might really be easier than cutting one of those monsters in half. This was why I've been trying to be really nice to the carpenter/cabinet maker a school. He has given me some good ideas on making them easier to build, and just talking through it with him has helped a lot.

I don't know what you could do for a more permant method of making the LS movable. Big casters (on their own base), but they would have to be pretty heavy duty.

The daughters room is only about 10x10. Not much of a room really, but it still has some ugly wallpaper from when we moved in in '93. I need to strip it off, prepare the wall and paint. That would help out the looks a lot, and I opened my mouth and told her I would get it done before May.

Marvel

----------------

On 2/19/2004 2:46:44 PM Frode wrote:

I built them from scratch. The ports are autosound items, you should get them in a car audio shop. The setup sounds good, but I think it can be better. I use an active XO on the bass(200Hz, 12dB/oct), nothing on the Oris. I hope some changes in the XO will give me even better sound.

Frode

----------------

where did you get the plans ? out of your head or from the oris crowd ?

I don't know Marvel, it would seem to me to be alot easier to use an old one and cut it in two. Alot easier to screw on two (one?) side plates than to make radius bends and such. Working carefully I believe you'd save 90% or more of the time you'd spend with scratch built. And I believe that is an honest estimate. Completely new would be neat to do also. YOu could use whatever wood you wanted and such.

Getting ready to go solder on the AA's. Here's hoping good fortune to all. Randy

If you need these in English measurements instead of metric, I have the same drawings with notes from Andy on how to build them. He has posted them here before with a link. I'm at work right now but can find them a email them to you if you would want.

Marvel