How many times can you split coaxial cable?

TIbor

I have the run come in the house and it splits off to two tvs and a cable modem. At the tv end I split it again for the pip..I was thinking of getting a 3way splitter to use for the fm radio on my denon, since I get poor fm reception in the basement. Does splitting the cable reduce quality alot? My comcast service already sucks, and some channels already dont look that great now.

Thanks

Talk to your cable company about adding a "booster". I wasn't satisfied with the picture I was getting so I called them up. They came out and said they would replace all of the outside wiring since it was over 15 years old and if I still wasn't satisfied they would add the booster. The new wiring did the trick in my case.

Charter came out and installed an in line ac amp and the picture quality increased 10 fold. Well maynot 10 fold but it was a noticable difference

RG6 has about a 3 to 5 db loss every 100 to 150 feet. (not positive)

if you look at the splitter it should tell you the db loss for each split

scott

Oh - and if you really want great FM reception without screwing up your cable, try popping the cover off one of your outlets and wiring the FM antenna to the ground posts on either side of the outlet.

If you've never messed with electrical circuits (particularly live ones) then pretend I never said anything, OK? 9.gif

----------------

On 2/12/2004 8:34:51 PM TIbor wrote:

What happens if you have a electrical problem and the surge or whatever runs through the ground to the reciever??

I dont have more than a total of hundred feet of cable. Maybe I can get a inline booster or something like that!

Thanks

----------------

If you're concerned about surges, it's not hard to stick a 400mA fuse inline. Worst thing that can happen is it will blow up the FM stage in your receiver. Never happened to me, and I've done this for years.

Hell, you're at more risk of a surge through your cable line than you are from the neutral posts on one outlet in your house. I didn't say "wire it to the neutral block in your circuit box" 2.gif

So Just run one standard 14gauge wire electical wire that is connected to the ground copper in my electrical outlet for my tv for expample. Does it need to be regular electrical wire or something smaller in guage. Just seems like a messy way to do, have a wire coming out of my outlet to the reciever, is there a cleaner way that you can think of?

----------------

On 2/12/2004 9:48:22 PM TIbor wrote:

So Just run one standard 14gauge wire electical wire that is connected to the ground copper in my electrical outlet for my tv for expample. Does it need to be regular electrical wire or something smaller in guage. Just seems like a messy way to do, have a wire coming out of my outlet to the reciever, is there a cleaner way that you can think of?

----------------

This is what I was afraid I might get into - a messy discussion of electrical circuitry.

No, you don't attach it to the ground copper. There are screws on each side of the outlet itself that connect to the neutral and the negative. Connect the inside (positive) from a coaxial to the neutral side, and the shield (ground) to the negative.

I need to stop now, I'm getting into that special territory that gets people really pissed at me when I'm not there to show them exactly what I mean, and stuff accidentally gets blown up. 1.gif

i wired my basement myself so I have a good understanding of wiring. I will re read your post tommorow...when I am not as tired. Making my head spin6.gif If you could draw it that would be great2.gif if not I will pratice on my crap rca all purpose reciever

Thanks

Yikes.

Guys, I apologize for bringing this up. Really. I don't want you to blow your FM stage apart trying to follow some vague instructions supplied by a goofball on some bulletin board. For me, it's automatic - I've been doing it so long, I don't even think about it, hence it's difficult to explain to someone who's never tried it before.

That would only get you half way. In order to engage the whole house wiring system, you've got to connect to the neutral and the negative - but you have to do it backwards, or you'll risk a rogue surge grounding out to your FM tuner.

Like I said, forget I ever started talking about it. I really am concerned now that someone's going to read this and go hook up their $5000 pre/pro to the wall outlet and blow it up - then come back to me screaming and yelling about how I'm an ******* for not telling them how to do it right.