Khorns vs Belles

hoggy

That's cool to know. I have no analyzes. I'm sure after these speakers get this old we all can through the stated specs out the window. I mainly posted all this for everyones information. I'm also thinking that where a speaker has spent it's life effects all of this stuff. As many have mentioned room and placement can make all the differnce. Purhaps I'm just lucky. Mine have been in the same enviornment all these years and still sound great. Still doesn't answer why the newer Belles/LaScalas have susch differnt bass specs. Wonder what ABing say a 76 Belle vs a 2004 Belle would show on an analyzer? Hmmm food for thought. In the end it's all relative. One may sound better to each listener.

hoggy

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"I'm one of the guys that keeps saying that La Scalas and Belles have no bass."

Ray,

You were right! - I took out my Rel Strata III Sub and hooked it up with my Klispch Belles. I put on a CD - Soundtrack from Dances with Wolves where there are some very Sub, Sub Bass notes. WIthout the Sub there was bass but the very deep Bass notes were missing. Turning the Sub on they appeared.

I think I'm keeping the Sub hooked up! - I had thought of selling it!

"As far as the specs you posted for '76 LaScalas my '76s certainly didn't meet the 18kHz at -5dB spec at all."

Sean that is not what Klipsch was claiming. The claim was 45-17,000 flat within 10db ( +/- 5db). Which is to say 5db down at 17k, usable frequency down no more than an additional 5db at 40Hz and 18Khz. Total is 10db down at 40Hz and 18Khz in an anechoic chamber. Not far off from your measured 13db down in a normal room.

Rick

Cut Throat -

Cool!

You have a great sub to match. I was using Storm with my La Scalas, and she fit them quite well. (Storm is now coupled to a pair of Apogees someplace in the wilds of Minnesota...)

Are you driving the sub with the speaker level inputs, or the line level inputs? I found the speaker level inputs worked a lot better with my REL in terms of matching the timbre of the La Scalas bass to the extension of the sub.

Q-man

I'm running a MC300 into my Khorns and I listen to .3 watts (yep: 1/3 of a watt) on the meters.

That shakes it up and is enough to "fill out" the drivers nicely. It is quite impressive. However, I have been known to actually turn it up more than I should have when showing off, and even clipped 300 watts with no damage. I turned it down immediately of course, but the point is, unless you are REALLY RECKLESS the horns can take it. I also am using ALK crossovers so there is no extra tweeter protection as there would be with stock crossovers...

Go for it!

DM2.gif