K-Horn Center Started Today

Q-Man

The top and bottom are cut and ready to screw onto the Klipschorn. The shape of these are the way the first klipschorns were built. Instead of going back at a 90 degree angle from the front of the bass horn they go back to the wall at a 45 degree angle. This gives you a little larger horn.

Well, I'll go try to get a little more done before my wife makes me fire up the BBQ.

Fini, I'm sitting on top of the RPTV in that one picture.

----------------

On 2/21/2004 9:42:30 AM Q-Man wrote:

I see that some of you are interested and not everyone thinks I'm nuts...

----------------

I have to admit that I couldn't believe you were cutting up your main Khorns when you did your Altec/JBL mod... 6.gif but your end result looks good and undoubtedly sounds much better than the stock Atlas/EV, given the quality of the replacements and the custom x-overs.

I've come to respect your mods... 2.gif and look forward to seeing this custom center come together.

Rob

I forgot to take a picture of how to join boards and parts of a cabinet together so you won't have any visable brads, screws, nails etc. showing. This Plate Jointer makes it easy. If you want your work to look like it was done by a cabinet maker, buy one. If you don't care about using putty and wood plugs to try to hide fasteners the way trim carpenders do their work, then don't bother.

post-2405-13819252259586_thumb.jpg

After assembly is complete I first use a 4" wide belt sander to flush up all the joints, and clean up the plywood. I also use a small belt sander that I can control with one hand, but don't use the small one on a large flat surface. Then it is on to finish sanding.

post-2405-13819252260556_thumb.jpg

I keep a lot of trim routers already set up with bits that I offen use. It makes the job go faster. I have two or more of every tool that I have. It sure saves time, and sometimes you don't want to change a set-up, so you use your other like tool. When you buy a new tool, don't get rid of your old one untill you have at least three of them. I just sold a table saw, because I had three,and I needed the room, or I would have kept it.

post-2405-13819252264796_thumb.jpg

Another must is having a compond miter saw, if you think you will cut large pieces get a sliding compond miter with a 12" blade. I'm using this to cut the crown molding for the top of the cabinet. This saw came in handy when cutting the compond angled pieces that made up the University Classic horn.

post-2405-1381925226606_thumb.jpg

See what I mean about square edges? After cutting those maple blocks I just reached in the drawer and grabbed a trim router with a round over bit already in it to ease the edges. Then I sent the blocks off to John and Barbie to let them finish them up.

One of these networks is going in this center channel

speaker.

I had some time today to put the crown on, sand it, and give it the first coat of stain. You don't have to stain knotty pine, but I like to give it that aged look right away. Tomorrow I'll show you a trick on how to accent the knotts and add more dark grain in the wood.

My wife came out when I was staining it and asked if I was building someone a doll house. I can't win.

Maybe I should give it to John Warren to use with his Barbies.

post-2405-1381925226722_thumb.jpg

Want to try something real cool and trick looking with pine ?

Ammonia distressing looks unreal on pine , but it's a bit dangerous for beginers to play with.

Basicly you build a containment box ( air tight )to hold what your distressing , put in an open container of pure ammonia and close the container for about 24hrs.

after removing the wood from the containment it must be allowed to gas off for a few days before the application of any top coats.

The finish is a greyish wheathered look that can be topcoated or spraystained with a alcohol base spray stain.

This is all the rage in the expensive cabinet market right now .