K-Horn Center Started Today

Q-Man

Rob,

Yes the fornt wall is similar, because I find it works quite well. What I'm doing now with the Klipschorn is one of those compromises. I really want one behind a screen someday.

What I would like to achieve is a room without any parallel walls

to help eliminate standing waves. I also want the speakers all about the same distance from the main listening position, no time delay needed. I want a raised floor in the back to get the rear Klipschorns over your head more, say at least two feet. This raised floor could also be used for seating if needed, I don't want any seating on the side walls. Heck, most of the time I only need three seats anyway. I'm a loner, if it wassn't for my two kids I would be alone in my room now. My wife never enters the room. She hates it. The few guest we have over at times run for cover when they see the room. I think it scares the hell out of them.

I will have a builder I know do the foam block exterior walls in the rectangular shape as shown and I'll do the interior walls (room within a room), because I know they wouldn't get it right.

I can't build a subterranean subwoofer like Horn ED. It would fill with water here in Florida. I have an idea for a horn loaded sub above this room and the huge mouth will be interrogated

into the ceiling. You won't know it, but you will be setting in the mouth of a subwoofer.

Q-man... you are still my all time Klipschorn Hero... and I try to never miss a Q-man post! At four Klipschorns and four Belles, I'm a pair of Khorns short of where I want to be. Although the new audio room I am building is in the mountains... the property is laced with springs. In fact, one tennis court was so bent out of shape from hydrostatic pressure that I converted it to an Olympic standard sand volleyball court. Did you know that to meet Olympic standards you need 200 tons of a special sand that out here goes for $64.50 a ton delivered. I'll bet I could get a better deal on Merritt Island!

My intent is to dig a hole in the rocky soil and lay in some relief tubes from hydrostatic pressure. Then I will tie rebar and 6"x6" wire mesh and gunite a smooth horn shape... I may even plaster it for good measure. The top will also follow the horn shape and be lifted into place with a backhoe. I figure if the subterranean sub doesn't work... I can always jackhammer the top off and turn it into a HornEd Hot Tub! =HornEd

PS: For all our friends on this Forum, thanks for blooming into the inspiration you have become Gary... and keep those comments and photos coming!

It's all amazing, Q-Man! Sorry to hear your wife hates your existing room and others are afraid (!) of it. Is there anything you can do with your future room to get your wife to like it? Or is it the sound that overwhelms her?

I think the center Klipschorn on the floor, level with the others but behind a screen, would be the ultimate. Since you'd be building from scratch, couldn't you have *all* the speakers equidistant? I don't know that a few feet makes that big of a difference anyway on side effect speakers, but if you're shooting for the ultimate . . .

I can't tell what your ceiling height plan is. But if you can give yourself a higher ceiling than normal, all the better.

----------------

On 3/7/2004 8:56:13 AM Q-Man wrote:

The few guest we have over at times run for cover when they see the room. I think it scares the hell out of them.

----------------

Ever since my last couple of upgrades, Ive been getting that more and more... people just look at me like Im insane. My girlfriend thinks I listen to music and movies too loud but did reluctantly mention she was impressed with the Matrix Revolutions building explosion sceen... saying it was very life like. From her, its a huge compliment.

----------------

I can't build a subterranean subwoofer like Horn ED. It would fill with water here in Florida. I have an idea for a horn loaded sub above this room and the huge mouth will be interrogated

----------------

Another option you can look into for a possible sub would be an Infinite Baffle (IB) which is basically a sealed sub in oversized (infinite or volume > 4Vas) enclosure. It would really blend in well with your no-holds-barred approach to HT. After all, its benefits include excellent transient response, bass extension, scalability, and simplicity of construction. They also have a pretty good efficiency given the drivers dont have the enclosures backpressure to work against.

I think one of its biggest limitations is also one of its features bass extension. Trying to reproduce 16Hz with a 12/15 driver can easily have your woofer reach its excursion limit but given the simplicity of scaling them by simply adding more drivers, this isnt a big deal.

Check out the Cult of the Infinitely Baffled FAQ page as well as their Gallery. This is ThomasW (from HT Forum) interesting Twelve Shiva's Dancing Project

My last project was designing/building my subwoofer... during which I learnt a lot about the compromises that go into building a speaker to reproduce the lowest frequencies. I realise your HT wouldnt be a fully horn loaded system but this is definitely another good subwoofer compromise.

Sorry for being a little off-topic... 15.gif

Rob

PS: my current project is sub-bass room equalization using a software RTA and a BFD1124...

----------------

On 3/7/2004 10:17:55 AM paulparrot wrote:

It's all amazing, Q-Man! Sorry to hear your wife hates your existing room and others are afraid (!) of it. Is there anything you can do with your future room to get your wife to like it? Or is it the sound that overwhelms her?

It's a lost cause. I sometimes have to remind her who she married some 25 years ago. Even before that she used to hang around me in the early 70's when I bought my first pair of LaScalas. She knew what I was like, and and what she was getting into. I tease her now and tell her that she is getting too old for me. I gave up a lot of my bad habbits as I'm sure some of you have, but I can't quit this one. I have to hang onto some of the things that I like in order to stay sane. Don't ask me who or what I would pick if I had to chose between the two.6.gif

• 2 weeks later...

I was able to get back to work on this project this weekend.

I worked the last couple of weekends on cabinets for other people.

I needed to earn some extra money so I gould buy some new equipment. I just had to get two new McIntosh amps. you know how that goes.

Formica sent me instructions on how to post pictures so they pop up when you open the post, but I'm too lazy to try to figure out how to do it now. So i'm just going to post some more pictures the old way.

This is the 60's Fir Klipschorn that I picked up for $150.00 and saved me having to build one.

post-2405-13819252276624_thumb.jpg

I made a mock bass horn, because the fir basshorn is now above the tv in the cabinet that I made. I'm figuring out the angle to mount the 311 horn on the face of the Klipschorn. I'm doing this with a laser level aimed at the sweet spot in the theater room. Then it's back out here for adjustments.

post-2405-13819252279004_thumb.jpg

The angle worked out so I now made a stand or support out of oak that will be attached to the face of the Klipschorn. I will be adding an oak face to the fir Klipschorn so all this will match my other Klipschorns. The tweeter housing is added and note that it is at a different angle then the 311-90 horn. This is because the tweeter is aimed at the same spot that the 311 is.

post-2405-13819252281724_thumb.jpg

This is the bass horn in the cabinet above the tv. I'll now take it down and cover the face with oak plywood so I can spray it with black lacquer when I spray the 311-90 horn and stand. It won't be long now and I can sit back and enjoy.

post-2405-13819252285134_thumb.jpg

• 2 years later...

Wow is right, I can't believe that it has been two years since this was posted and I'm still listening to the same center channel speaker. That's a record for me. I was never happy with the center channel sound, and I made quite a few speaker changes there. That is one of the reasons that led to this mod. The other reason is that I wanted to use the same speakers for all the channels.

I also found out that not all AV/receivers and processors are not created equal. For a year now I have been using a Parasound Halo C1 processor and it does more for the center channel sound then anything that I used in the past.

I run the mains and the center channel full range and I also send the low bass from those channels to the subwoofer. I prefer the sound this way, and I tried a lot of other settings.

Right after installing the Klipschorn center channel speaker I ran some frequency test tones through it and the mains so I could measure the difference between them. The center measures real close to the mains and actually has about 2db more output from 45Hz. down then the mains do. I must have done something right. I'm really pleased with the sound now.

No the TV doesn't rattle. The clear plastic protective screen cover vibrates at higher volume levels, but it always did. You can't hear it from my sitting position, if I could I would have taken the protective cover off by now. The three front Klipschorn false corners are rock solid and the TV doesn't come into contect with them.