K-Horn Center Started Today

Q-Man

----------------

On 2/29/2004 4:22:34 PM Q-Man wrote:

Can you see what I see?

----------------

lol... for a minute i was expecting to see one of John's Barbies ... 3.gif it's really coming along... you gonna give the K-horn a knotty pine finish as well?

Actually I noticed they seem to be the "fir" horns? Were they the decorator models or did you make the bass bin as well?

----------------

On 2/29/2004 4:22:34 PM Q-Man wrote:

I thought that I would have a little fun with this. Can you see what I see?

----------------

Klipsch?? Very cool!

Laters,

EDIT: NM I see you spilled the beans already. The project is awesome looking. You have some superior woodworking skills for sure! I can't wait to see it all complete!!

Earl,

I used to hide my name in some of my oil paintings. So that plus painting in all the extra grain gave me the idea.

Loadedtunes,

Ammonia distressing is news to me. I must be getting old and not with it any more. It doesn't sound like much fun either, and I like to enjoy what I'm doing.

Formica,

I think the Klipschorn will be finished in a black lacquer over oak to match the rest of the speakers.

The Klipschorn is an early 60's Fir D model. I was going to build one, but I found this one on ebay for $150.00.

Eq_,

I saw that about 50 people read this post after showing the word Klipsch on the side of the cabinet. I figured that they didn't care or didn't pick it out, so I did spill the beans too soon. I guess they really didn't have any interest, because I did make it stand out too much. I wasn't sure if you would be able to see it in the picture.

Hey Q-man how are you going to anchor the k-horn ?

I guess if your using it as a center for HT the volume levels in the bass bin will not be that great to consider vibration troubles. Just with a quick look at what your up too one would think a k-horn mounted side-way could possibly rattle the crap out of that whole platform setup you've got there .

Multi channel CD formats might give enough center information to have these concerns, Just wondering what your thought are on this?

On the LoadedTunes ammonia distressing finish topic , i've seen this finish in show homes and it's all the rage right now.

The false corners are built out of 2x6's 12" on center and have double thick 3/4" plywood on the face. The corners also have sides and a back they are actually big boxes. Connecting the two corners is a 2x4 frame with studs about 10" on center, and 3/4" plywood on top of that. No nails, everything is glued and screwed together. The cabinet for the Klipcshorn

is screwed to the studs on the back wall, which stiffens the back. The cabinets on the left and right of the Klipschorn cabinet are screwed to the sides of the cabinet and to the shelf platform. These cabinets are needed to stiffen the sides of the K-horn cabinet. The angles on the top of the Klipschorn should stiffen that part up. This thing is built stronger then any room corner. I think I'll be fine, because it is now guite rigid, but if it vibretes I'll come up with something. I've had a LaScala up there between cabinets for a couple of years and then switched that out to the University Classic. I didn't have any problems with those speaker, but I am hoping for more bass out of the Klipschorn.

Movies will also use the center channel a lot, and I hope to crossover the center Klipschorn to the sub at 40HZ like I do the mains. I had to cross over the center channel LaScala between 60 and 80 Hz. I don't like using a sub above 40 or 50hz. I want to get as much as I can from the bass horns.

I do have a back up plan. That would be to get rid of the tv and put a Klipschorn on the floor behind a screen. I hope that i don't have to do that untill I build a new room.

My concern was with grounding the tailboard of that center to your reflective cabinet. This is the first place trouble will arise , sounds like you have everything built like a tank so i hope this is a non-issue.

My school of thought with most any speaker array has always been grounding and isolation, sandbagging was always my biggest experiments. I was raised in the camp of not allowing the cabinet to resonate any more than possible.

Not saying my point of view is correct or any better than others, but i always look for unwanted vibration sources.

BTW : Nice looking set up .2.gif

I have a tail board built into the cabinet itself, like I do with the false corners for the mains. With the mains I have to use a tail board gasket. With this center I can reach the tail board, so I plan on screwing the tailboard to the tailboard piece built into the cabinet. I will show pictures of this soon. The bass horn is more stable on it's side then it is standing up. This is because I added a top and bottom to it.

----------------

On 3/4/2004 6:25:31 PM Q-Man wrote:

Plan B

This is one of my first designs for a new theater room. It has changed since this drawing, but the other drawings are too big to post. it's crude, but you may get the idea.
----------------

That is a cool picture. I was thinking about something very similar but in an almost circular room with the K-Horns recessed in the wall. Ah maybe sometime in the future when I build a house.

Laters,

Q, that is really a great plan (preliminary or not) ... quite involved in both acoustics and construction... did you start a thread on your room design as well?

I was initially jealous of your Khorns... now I wish I had your room too. 2.gif Anyone in the Quebec/Vermont region have a reasonable price for klipschorns? 4.gif

Rob

PS: if you'd like to post up some more images... you could email me the sketches and I'll resize/optimize them for posting.

Rob,

No reason to be jealous of that room. It doesn't exist. I drew up some furture house plans and I had to get the room right first. The house had to be designed around this room. I have to give up square footage in other areas to have this room. I'm now looking for land to build on.

I may seak your help in posting pictures. I'll try a couple this weekend and see what happens.

Wow! QMan that is just awesome! Six Khorns and 4 La Scala's now that is my idea of the ULTIMATE HT! I thought that my 2 Khorns, 1 La Scala, 2 Vertical Cornwall II's, and Heresy II's were something. Khorn center is coming along great, man that is just unbelievable. This is what I call the "no compromise approach to HT.

----------------

No reason to be jealous of that room. It doesn't exist. I drew up some future house plans and I had to get the room right first.

----------------

I can relate, as Im always planning my next project... but that front wall layout really resembles your current setup. 4.gif

----------------

I may seak your help in posting pictures. I'll try a couple this weekend and see what happens.

----------------

No problem, PM me if you'd like to make them web friendly.

Later...

Rob