Tube dampers that seem to work

dubai2000

Recently I purchased various 6SN7s (TungSols; Sylvanias; GEs) which all developed various degrees of microphonic behaviour. I have read since that this kind of tube is quite prone to such 'behaviour' and I suppose the chassis of the AE-1 isn't a very isolating platform either.

Well, over at AA I read about HAL-O tube dampers and as my pile of unusable tubes began increasing, I thought I give it a shot. The four pieces I had ordered arrived today and I tried them on my 'worst' 6SN7. The result: the tubes can be used again - silence insted of high frequency whistling. If this remains true I have found a way to enjoy more tube flavours. So far I cannot notice and degration of sound quality (no slowing/thickening of sound - it seems their website info isn't just 'hot air'). I thought I might share the info, even though I am sure others have discovered this device much earlier....and I am NOT connected in any way to the said company, just a satisfied customer2.gif .

Wolfram

I got "Tubesox" tube dampers from Music Direct a few years ago for my CAT preamp, based on the manual saying that tube dampers could be employed. However, it specified only 4 tubes (out of 10) on which they could be used, and said not to use them on two others, without saying why. Besides reducing microphonics, I thought the sound became cleaner, am glad I did it. Somewhat on the expensive side, it was/is a copper-thread and kevlar stretchable jacket that slides down over the tube.

Larry

I agree with Wolfram. Herbie's HALO dampers really work in my set up. I have a preamp based around the 27 tube and they tend to be quite microphonic. After several unsuccessful attempts to damp vibrations, I bought some of Herbie's rings. The difference was startling - tubes that "sang" along with the music became very quiet and the background was silent. I also put a damper on the rectifier and while subtle, there was an improvement. I now have a supply of Herbie's dampers and try them on every tube I can. Of course, you can always overdo a good thing and using too many of these Teflon rings can deaden the sound much like wrapping too much putty around a horn. It can take some of the "liveliness" away. I'd suggest buying a few of each size you need, try them out in different combinations and send back the ones that don't make a noticable improvement. He offers a 30-day trial so you really don't lose much if the dampers don't work out. No affiliation here - just my impressions.

I've also used Pearl dampers and they work well but tend to be best suited for applications where quiet operation is paramount - like in a phono section. They also need to be used sparingly as they will take the "air" out of the sound if over implemented.

Have fun -Bryan