See if you guys can help me place my sub

yromj

The attached pic shows my living room and kitchen area. Note the placement of the sub along the top wall. Also, note there is no corner in this room. (OK, technically there IS a corner, but I refuse to put my sub INSIDE the fireplace.) My wife's favorite seat is the recliner. This is a bass "hot spot". I've been trying for some time now to relocate the sub (a KSW-10). The armoire is VERY large (approx. 56"Wx36"Dx90"H) and simulates a corner very well. The only problem is the best bass response is definitely along the left side of the room. I tried moving the sub to the other side of the armoire, but the low end was lost. My floor is carpet and the ceilings are 9' throughout. Also note that the wall behind the couch is a half-wall with a counter behind it. So the armoire can't go in front of it.

Last thing, upgrading the sub down the road is an option. Therefore, a different position assuming a more powerful sub is a possibility. The main goal is evenly distributed low-end throughout the living room. (From the rear speakers to the top wall.)

Thanks,

John

post-13706-13819252324852_thumb.jpg

You have the SVS part right, no matter where you put one of those monsters it will sound good (all but the B-4 Plus is downfiring, but onto a plinth so you capet will not suck up bass energy). As far as the klipsh goes i would relocate it to your L side wall maybe 2-3' from the fireplace. Also since you say that the arm. is huge you could technically simulate a corner using it if you wanted. Another idea is to pick up another sub to use in conjunction with your existing and place it on the side corner i mentioned while keeping the original sub where it is. Your second sub does not have to be huge (on of the newer rw-10/12 or the rsw subs or even a nice pb-1 isd ) but I think that it would definately help fill out the room. Hope this helps a bit.

-Eric

OK, copy...paste...print...there.

I haven't tried it there because of the cable run. I found a company called DE Corp which makes flat wire. They make a flat, very thin coax that I was thinking of using to make a sub cable out of. (I figured I could run this stuff under the carpet.) Then I discovered that while they don't have prices for that on the website yet, the rest of their stuff goes for ~$4-$5/foot and the connectors are ~$20/pr. For a 25' run that's ~$300! That's over half the SVS.

Thanks for the help.

John

Next

----------------

On 2/16/2004 10:50:46 PM ekbriggs wrote:

You have the SVS part right, no matter where you put one of those monsters it will sound good (all but the B-4 Plus is downfiring, but onto a plinth so you capet will not suck up bass energy). As far as the klipsh goes i would relocate it to your L side wall maybe 2-3' from the fireplace. Also since you say that the arm. is huge you could technically simulate a corner using it if you wanted. Another idea is to pick up another sub to use in conjunction with your existing and place it on the side corner i mentioned while keeping the original sub where it is. Your second sub does not have to be huge (on of the newer rw-10/12 or the rsw subs or even a nice pb-1 isd ) but I think that it would definately help fill out the room. Hope this helps a bit.

-Eric

----------------

EKB,

You bring up a point I forgot to ask about originally. Would it help to put something under my current sub (KSW-10 which is downfiring)? If so what's the best to use and do I need to attach it to my sub?

John

Don't worry about using a traditional wire under the carpet. Pull up the padding and it will hide very well. If you're feeling ambitious, and have access to the basement level, I'd go so far as to drill through the floor and run underneath it.

I concur with the fireplace position.

Meanwhile, I'd say go ahead and put a sheet of 1/2" plywood under the sub - you'll be astounded at the difference in the bass response. Down firing subs are specifically designed to interact with a hard surface, and the 3/4" or so of carpet and carpet padding does a remarkably effective job of interfering with that interaction.

----------------

On 2/16/2004 11:13:17 PM Griffinator wrote:

Don't worry about using a traditional wire under the carpet. Pull up the padding and it will hide very well. If you're feeling ambitious, and have access to the basement level, I'd go so far as to drill through the floor and run underneath it.

I concur with the fireplace position.

Meanwhile, I'd say go ahead and put a sheet of 1/2" plywood under the sub - you'll be astounded at the difference in the bass response. Down firing subs are specifically designed to interact with a hard surface, and the 3/4" or so of carpet and carpet padding does a remarkably effective job of interfering with that interaction.

----------------

I might have to try putting it over by the couch just to see. You never know right? I don't have a basement though, so I'll have to try the under carpet idea. I just don't know if I can get it under the pad very easily. (The carpet I was pretty sure I could do.)

The plywood thing I WILL try. I've been meaning to ask someone about that for a while.

As for the sub along the left wall, remember my wife sits in that chair primarily and she already complains about the abundance of bass. I'm afraid a sub where we're talking about (which would make an awesome table for that chair) wouldn't go over very well.

Thanks,

John

----------------

On 2/16/2004 11:20:23 PM yromj wrote:

I might have to try putting it over by the couch just to see. You never know right? I don't have a basement though, so I'll have to try the under carpet idea. I just don't know if I can get it under the pad very easily. (The carpet I was pretty sure I could do.)

The plywood thing I WILL try. I've been meaning to ask someone about that for a while.

As for the sub along the left wall, remember my wife sits in that chair primarily and she already complains about the abundance of bass. I'm afraid a sub where we're talking about (which would make an awesome table for that chair) wouldn't go over very well.

Thanks,

John

----------------

Ah - the drawing didn't really indicate which "chair" was the recliner.

If you can pull up the carpet, you can pull up the padding. It's not as hard as you think. For that matter, you can "wire fish" the cable under the padding with ease using a small flexible plastic rod about 1/8" in diameter and no more than two feet shorter than the overall distance between your receiver and your final destination. Poke the hole where you intend the sub to go (or pull up the carpet there) feed the rod through to the other side, tape the cable to the rod, and pull it back through. Neat, clean, and simple.

Crikey, I'm giving you all the secrets that make being an HT installer easy! 6.gif

Thanks Griff!! I didn't know if I could fish the wire under the pad. I knew I could under the carpet, that's why I thought I could do it. (I was trying to avoid having to re-stretch the carpet.) Have you guys used any of that flat wire? I thought that was going to be the ticket until I saw the cost! 6.gif

Sorry, you're right I didn't designate the location of the recliner.

Thanks again,

John

I am surprised nobody mentioned this trick in sub placement:

To start, put the sub where you normally would sit (or perhaps at the position of the recliner where your wife is complaining about the bass). Play some bass-heavy material and walk around until you figure the bass sound the best and most natural, say along the walls and such. Once you find the ideal spot where the bass seems to sound the best, that is where to put the sub.

To add, I'll have to try the 1/2 inch plywood under the sub trick. My REL is a down-firing sub, and it is firing down into the carpet.

----------------

On 2/17/2004 2:06:10 AM michael hurd wrote:

At the frequencies a subwoofer plays, even 2" thick carpet underneath is not going to absorb enough of the lower frequencies to make squat difference.

----------------

Maybe not the 20-70 or so range, but you start approaching 100Hz and signal output starts to drop when firing straight into an absorptive surface like that. Putting a piece of thick ply under the sub will bring those frequencies right back out.

Maybe not the 20-70 or so range, but you start approaching 100Hz and signal output starts to drop when firing straight into an absorptive surface like that. Putting a piece of thick ply under the sub will bring those frequencies right back out.

----------------

This may actually help me quite a bit. I had a little bit of a dilemna when I set my system up. I tried to set the cross-over one octave above the cutoff of my mains, which cutoff at 49Hz. Therefore, I set my cross-over at 100Hz and the speakers to small. I noticed that setting them to large, did fill in the upper bass a bit, but I lost clarity in the midrange. Then I set the cross-over to 80Hz and speakers to small. This helped quite a bit. If I can increase the frequency response in the 80-100 Hz area, it will probably solve the probably totally.

BTW, my wife are going to test the sub over by the couch. Probably do it this weekend.

John