RCR 5 grill problem

CAS

Just installed these ceiling speaks into my existing home. Seems the grills fit so on snuggly that I can't find anything that will remove them without possibly bending or damaging them. Any suggestions? I wan't to move the tweater a bit which is impossible without removing the grill.

Thanks much!

I use them as my surrounds in my home theater. They sound great (which they should seeing as they've got huge 8" woofers). The only thing I would mention is don't put on the grills before you calibrate your home theater. The tweeters rotate 360 deg and they can make a very big difference in rear imaging. I've found the best sound would be to angle them toward the walls (away from the seating area). Otherwise the sound varies too much from one position to the next, unless your seating area is not very big. I have a large seeting area so this does come into play.

Overall I'm very satisfied. I just need to remove the grills and don't want to force them to the point of bending. 5.gif

Oh, and if you have the blown ceiling insulation (instead of the rolls), I've found that a 5 gallon bucket is a great quasi-enclosure to keep that insulation from mucking up the speakers. I just drilled a hole in the side of the bucket for the speaker wire and placed the bucket over the speaker (nearly perfect 11 and 1/2" diameter) for a nice sealed fit. I also placed a brick on top of each bucket to reduce possible vibrations. This has worked perfectly for me.

Let me know how your install goes and what you think of their performance.

Awesome cas, and thanks for the help. I really wanted the RS-7, but they would have been directly above the sitting position and the sound have just gone right over the listener's heads. I have 9'6" ceilings so the in ceiling speaker option was really the only way to go. I am excited about having everything set up, should be some time in March. I will let you know how it all sounds when it is finished.

Oh, one more thing. I forgot to mention (I think someone else mentioned it many moons ago) that the cutout template is WAY too small. I think I remember the exact cutout diameter needs to be 9 and 1/2". Just trace the inside edge of the styrofoam packing the speaker was placed in from the box as it conforms to the very edge that slips into the ceiling.

Happy listening!3.gif

• Klipsch Employees

The grills are tight. I use my knife or a drywall screw.

Other ways could be : fish hook, paper clip, most anything small enough to go in the holes , and curved so you can have some pulling power.

I hope this helps.

Remember, the grills can be painted ...but dont paint the edges, makes them harder to get on and off....