Anyone Have Cornwalls Older than 1962?

Frzninvt

The rear port back cabnet cover is made of three 3/4" plywood panels. The center panel over laps the back two panels almost two the ends. In other words it covers all the back except about 1/2 inch all the way around.The center panel is spaced of the other two panels about 1/8 " with several stips of wood to let the sound out. you can see some of them inside the screen .

This Cornwall is #118 which might mean is the 18th made, if they started with 100.

When I bought It on ebay it came with (all matching wood ect.) a 59 khorn,59 model H,59 shorthorn that looks the same from the frount.

BTW the short horn ,khorn and model H was sold new in 59 as a three way stereo set up. it even came with orig klipsch broucher showing this early stereo set.

Id love to find another matching Cornwall cabnet.

Dave,

I've been thinking about a Shorthorn/Cornwall modification. If you looked at the Shorthorn as a solid volume, shaped like the Shorthorn top (5 sided), it would fit tight in a corner, have the same interior cubic volume as the Cornwall, and would port between the legs of the face frame. Corner reinforcement might strengthen the bass (!), but I would love to hear from an expert on any theoretical complications or degradation of sound.

It would look like a Shorthorn (side grills could be "dummied" over the side panels), but potentially could have performance similiar to the Cornwall. Best of both worlds, in my opinion.

I would call it the "Corner Horn Wall".

Thoughts, anyone?

Chris

Chris, Henry dabbles in the speaker design, and there are some experts around as well. I know Henry has at least one design program. You could run the shorthorn as a three or five-sided sealed ported enclosure, but I think you would begin to skew a couple of the ported enclosure constants. My swag is you would create dead pockets or dissimilar pressure areas that are less severe with a conventional box design.

I think you would end up with a much tighter sound just by creating a more conventional port system, and I wonder if this is the "failure" part of the speaker that PWK acknowledged to all. I might throw together a dovetailed Cornwall enclosure to see if there is much improvement in sound.

I just can't get over the front facades - they are identical! I would wager that Klipsch ran things like the British car factories. They had everything standardized, and used common parts as often as design would allow. When there was a change in design, whatever older parts were left were used up before the new design parts were completely stocked. That may be why our shorthorns can be only a month apart, and yet use different woofers, drivers, etc.

Dave,

I have '67 Cornwalls in addition to the '59 Shorthorns, and the Cornwall bass stomps all over the Shorthorn bass. It's not a simple A/B test since the Shorthorns have 16 Ohm TruSonic 103LX woofers and University SAHF mid-drivers, while the Cornwalls have 8 Ohm (3.2 DCR) K-33-Jensen P15LL woofers, and spring-clip K-55-V midrange drivers.

I have been following the thread on La Scala porting mods that encloses the HF section, and opens it up to the doghouse. Essentially, I am creating a larger "doghouse" with a lower resonant frequency, and a conventional port system. The added corner depth could also incorporate a 500Hz Klipsch horn, rather than the 600Hz Cornwall horn, allowing the woofer to operate more comfortably.

I'm hoping that the lowest (ported) frequencies don't care too much about enclosure shape, given their wavelength, but I would certainly appreciate more input. I have a Mac, and can't run Boxplot or any other speaker enclosure design software that I am aware of.

Chris

Jim,

Thanks for the reply and sharing your piece of history!

With the fact that the motorboard is one piece and what appears to be glue in the picture I'm going to assume that thev board is glued and screwed to atleast the motorboard. With that in mind it gives additional credence to one of Roger Floth's tweaks in "Speaker Builder" (3/89) I've installed this tweak on one pair of my Cornwalls about a year ago.

One other comment. There seems to be a LOT more dampening material than in the later Cornwalls.

Thanks again,

Mike