Should I upgrade my RF-3 II's to RF-7's

Beetlejuice

I was thinking of upgrading my RF-3 II's and RC-3 II to the RF-7 and RC-7. My brother might bye my RF-3, RC-3 and RS-3. If that is the case I will go with the 7 series all around. But if he doesn't want to bye my old gear I was thinking of going with the RF-7, RC-7 using the RS-3 for my left and right surround and moving my RC-3 to the rear and using it as a rear center(RF-3 would be my room B speakers). My question is how will the 7's matchup with my 3's. Also are the RF-7's to big to use with my RSW-10(I don't want to upgrade the sub at the moment). Thx

Dude, If you could do it, I would highly recommded it. I started out with a complete 6.1 Reference 3II package (RF-3Ii front, RC-3 center (front and back), and RS-3II surrounds). I only had it for about a month until I traded the whole kit in for a complete Reference 7 package (thanks m00n 11.gif!) The difference is certainly noticable. The midrange is going to be much improved. The bass will certainly have more punch, even with the RSW-10 (which, BTW, should be plenty good - my REL Storm III "only" has a 10-inch woofer, but it certainly can keep up).

If your brother buys off your '3II's, then of course, get the RS-7 surrounds and the RC-7 centers. Now, if your brother does not buy your old speakers, then the RS-3II for the surronds and the RC-3II for a rear center will still work superbly - just make sure you compensate in your reciever's level settings. The RF-3IIs will make an excellent seperate 2-channel setup (or use them as a 'B' surrounds like I do with my pair of RF-5s).

As long as you have 7 series speakers across the front, then you should not notice any difference in voice with RS-3s in back. Surrounds should be set a bit higher in volume level than the test tones indicate IMO.

The front speakers and subwoofer are more important, in my view, than the surrounds. The RS-7s are better speakers than the RS-3s for multi-channel music IMO, but surrounds are less important for movies.

Bill

----------------

On 2/19/2004 1:03:26 AM ccsakura wrote:

It's always good to hear it's able to get into higher end, but don't forget it's not single upgrade. It may be the whole setup will be upgraded to 7s......
11.gif

----------------

'ccsakura' does have a point there. One you get those RF-7s "in da house", you may find yourself wanting to upgrade the Kenwood reciever. I figured I'd be happy to continue cruising along with my Denon AVR-3802 reciever. It was not to long aftwards I got that B&K amp, and wow - what a difference that made! At least I am very satisfied with how well my Denon performs as a pre/pro, though - so that saved me one expensive upgrade. 6.gif

or you could do what i do....never listen to the RF-7's!!!

i bought the RF3-II full set b/c i liked the sound better than the 5's

but the big 7's were in the other "listening room" and i didn't dare listen to them...i enjoy my 3's and like the possible ignorance that i am living in. my svs gives me all the bass i need.

that is one upgrade that puts a hurtin' on your wallet, so for now, i am happy with my setup. (even the khorns too! ha ha)3.gif

Upgrade-itus is a terrible (and wonderful) thing. If home theater becomes a hobby, you are never done. The 7's are amazing and a big upgrade. I agree with the above comments - try to get 7's across the front at the same time and worry about the surrounds later. 9.gif

By the way, the difference on the center channel will be a dramatic as with the towers.

Been there, done that, haven't regretted it one bit, though the wife wasn't too keen on it...but then she never really took to any of the HT stuff, so I'm an island when it comes to this.

I have RF7 mains, RC7 center and Velodyne SPL1200 sub, though the sub you have should still do a good job, you may want to up that later on. For surrounds I've the SB2s recently installed and sounding great, no room for the RS7s, tried the RS3s but it wasn't for me.

Good luck!

G2

----------------

On 2/19/2004 7:22:30 PM nicholtl wrote:

Beetlejuice - a resounding YES! Great movie by the way.

Gary - If you find your Velodyne 1200 missing one day, it was me.

----------------

I'll certainly notice it missing! lol when that thing thumps...she really thumps and a wash of deep wave of bass rolls through the room!

G2