Spiked Cornwalls - Pics Inside

eq_shadimar

Ok after playing around some I can report back. Yes I like the sound better!! To me the bass is tighter and the speaker is coupled to the room much better. The bass notes hit harder and the top end is more focused.

Keep in mind that before I spiked (and painted them sharp eye Mike!) these speakers did not have risers and were sitting on carpet on top of a slab. If you have risers and have the speakers on a wood floor the difference may not be as great.

The installation was easy and since the holes were made in the port section of the speaker I didn't even bother to seal them up. The spikes are the black chrome models from Parts Express.

Laters,

----------------

On 2/26/2004 6:03:44 PM mandi wrote:

I just got my CWs and I guess they have built in risers, since they do not look like the picture but have another 2 inches or so of riser I guess. What does a spike do for you? My speakers are sitting on carpet which is on concrete slab.
----------------

This is as good of and explanation as any. From the Klipsch Website FAQ section:

Why should I use speaker feet or spikes?

Speaker spikes keep the speaker from rocking back and forth in response to driver motion, especially when the floor is carpeted. A midrange or tweeter moves very little on its own, and when bass is strong, the speaker may move more than either of these drivers due to the motion of the heavy woofer cone(s). This will have a negative affect on the sound. If the speaker is kept as still as possible, the definition and dynamics of the sound improves. On hard floor surfaces, the spikes can help to drain energy stored in the speaker cabinets into the floor, which will improve resolution. Make sure you do not use the spikes with a wood floor as this will cause damage to the wood. A coin under each spike, for example, will help protect the floor.

Laters,

hey,

i actually just posted a thread on stands for cornwalls, but was also thinking of spiking mine...what do you guys mean when you mention risers on cornwalls...i feel like im missing something here. i have hardwood over a crawlspace so im not sure how well spikes will work

thanx

b

----------------

On 3/4/2004 1:57:14 AM ramair455 wrote:

hey,

i actually just posted a thread on stands for cornwalls, but was also thinking of spiking mine...what do you guys mean when you mention risers on cornwalls...i feel like im missing something here. i have hardwood over a crawlspace so im not sure how well spikes will work

thanx

b

----------------

Most Cornwalls came from the factory with a 2" high riser made out of 3/4" plywood attached to the bottom of the speaker. You can see them at the bottom of Cornwall II's that I used to have here:

cornwallii_drivers.jpg

and here

cornwallii.jpg

I like the sound so much that I am going to remove the non-factory risers that someone installed on my '79 Cornwalls and spike them also. Good thing I got enough spikes!!!

Laters,