5.1 Question

I just bought the Klipsch 4.1s for $280 from outpost. I could return them to wait on the 5.1s I guess, but

a) I don't watch DVDs

B) I set up my system generally in cramped conditions (ie dorm room) where I don't know if I could really fit a center channel in niceley.

c) Volume/Power/Wattage wise the Klipsch 4.1s can already go up to "too loud" I don't need the 5.1s for that.

Does anyone think it is worth my hassle and $150 more (shipping) to get the 5.1s? If so, why?

Thanks,

Jacob

Mike, is every post you make to promote the 5.1's? The 5.1's are NOT that great and they are NOT intended for desktop computer use because you are far too close to need the center channel. And unless you watch DVD's a lot then its just another 100 down the toilet.

Stick with the 4.1s. I have the 4.2s and there great. You dont need the 5.1s for a cramped space. Mise well wait till you get out of college then theyll have an even better speaker set out :-). Plus you dont need anymore for a computer setup the 4.1s are outstanding compared to the competition!

If you want a 5.1 setup.

Just buy a 2.1 Pro or v2-400 or 4.1's off Ebay.

For about 150 if you can find it.

Just my 2 cents.

If I were in your Situation, I wouldnt go with the 5.1

I was going to before I decided to get a set of v2-400's instead to go with my 5.1's

But I watch DVD movies.

------------------

Living Room:

Yamaha Natural Sound A-500 Stereo Amplifier

2 Klipsch Heresys on A switch

2 Fisher STV-873 on B switch

My Room:

Klipsch Pro Medias

2 Fisher Surrounds

no need to get aggressive.

i'd say there is no real strong reason except the cool factor and the various improvements in quality to go with the 5.1 in your situation, snakescott.

the center channel, as was posted before, is intended in the first place to situate dialogues and some action to the center of the screen in a situation where there are off-axis listeners, i.e. more than one person watching. and it will only really be in use with DVDs and whatever other 5.1 source (such as dts CDs, which you could probably not play on your computer unless you had a dts decoder).

the phantom channel created when downmixing 5.1 to "4.1" is sufficient for most near-field PC applications.

my 2 cents, as always.

Sorry mike, but unlike you I consider the factors before wasting money needlessly instead of just thinking hey its got a 5 instead of a 4 I gotta go buy it! The 5.1's have their purposes but for the situation snakescott just described it would be a complete waste of money to get the 5.1's.

The 5.1's would be good for me, because My front two speakers are in the corners. each one is about 8 foot away from me. and up about 5 foot.

My rears are the same, just about.. 10 feet away.:

<> <>

/

<> <>

<> = speaker

/ = me

So as you can see... A 5.1 would fill in empty space.

But since I will hopefuly be getting v2-400's.

I will have a setup like this

<> = 4.1

</> = v2-400

/ = Me

:

<> </> </> <>

/

</> </>

<> <>

Even though I dont listen to ALOT of movies... I would still like the 5.1 for music.

------------------

Living Room:

Yamaha Natural Sound A-500 Stereo Amplifier

2 Klipsch Heresys on A switch

2 Fisher STV-873 on B switch

My Room:

Klipsch Pro Medias

2 Fisher Surrounds