DVD copies with Dolby or DTS?

just_me_the_dude

----------------

On 2/21/2004 11:59:02 PM just_me_the_dude wrote:

Does anyone here copy DVDs for personal use? If so does it copy everything from the source including the Dolby digital tracks (5.1 or 6.1) and or DTS/DTSes? or the copy just gets standard stereo output audio? Any thoughts?
10.gif

----------------

I mostly backup the disks that every single one I have. Sometimes when my cousins or uncles take away in another home and I lost some of disks like this situation(my Pianist, Sleepy Hollow, The Others are scatched. I can't watched some scenes now, Gangs of New York are gone), now I just bring a copy back home and watch with them..... however I do copy the DTS for myself and dolby digital for others. Well just depends no what equipment you have around. But for the THX cert DVDs, most of them sound better on dolby digital instead of DTS track. Rest of them I love them to be DTS 9.gif .

And now I'm barely borrow DVDs outside my room except under my supervision or I borrow them the back up disk(I still take back after that tho, otherwise I've to make another back up)

I'm not sure how you do it Sakura...maybe you have special equipment? Using my G5, I find it difficult to copy big studio blockbuster movies with a DVD burner because 1) i think the only blank DVD-R and DVD-RW are 4.7BG in memory, and most movies with DTS and/or Dolby Digital are somewhere in the 6-7GB realm, and 2) most studio distributed films (Universal, Miramax, Columbia/Tristar, Paramount etc. as opposed to independently released) have copy protection and encryption.

----------------

On 2/22/2004 4:54:13 AM nicholtl wrote:

I'm not sure how you do it Sakura...maybe you have special equipment? Using my G5, I find it difficult to copy big studio blockbuster movies with a DVD burner because 1) i think the only blank DVD-R and DVD-RW are 4.7BG in memory, and most movies with DTS and/or Dolby Digital are somewhere in the 6-7GB realm, and 2) most studio distributed films (Universal, Miramax, Columbia/Tristar, Paramount etc. as opposed to independently released) have copy protection and encryption.

----------------

I do lower the video quality by using dvdshrink............. sometimes it comrpess to the 50% of the normal one but I still can't distinguish from the original copy. Well I don't own a good eye sight(got defected eyes..... weak sight), some people may be able to distinguish them.

No matter it's backup or original copy.... I run for myself and I can't distinguish them except I know which sound track was cut 9.gif (if you throw me 2 copies and they don't cut any sound tracks..... I can't figure it out lol) Perhaps I may figure out when I use projector later(the only screen that can show the full resolution of DVDs around is the computer monitor, they are too small to make a difference)

BTW check out vcdhelp.com, it may give u better clue for backing up those disks. No more losing DVDs and buying the same DVDs because you can't read the disk again 11.gif

I use dvd x copy and it records the entire disk just as it is originally,dts,dd etc..The only draw back is it takes 2 disc for some movies/concerts unless you compress it.I also use it to record the dd version from dvd-audio,this is very cool in my garage.On the 20th Feb/04 FEDERAL COURT SAYS no more dvd copy software.

----------------

On 2/24/2004 1:38:53 PM just_me_the_dude wrote:

Since we got that cleared out...thanks, What do you suggest is a good DVD copier for the computer? In regards to a separate DVD copier component that you hook up to TV or Receiver do they perform the same way as the one in the computer? Will it have the same quality?

----------------

if u want to compress the video into 1 disk, get DVDShrink. If you want to have original quality, go for DVDXCopy, it's the easiest one but I guess you have to pay for it? (Other may give u better clue about 2disks one)

Computer's DVD quality is limited off many things..... especially the video card. That's why you get a $500 dvd player but not a $500 desktop that can play everything 9.gif