Way OT FWD

bkrop

I am getting old beat pick up, what is the deal with the locking hubs? When is it necessary that they be locked and unlocked? I remember friends with Jeeps saying never drive on dry pavement with them _______? The only Jeep I have driven had full time 4WD. Any offroaders,truckers out there?

The reason for the locking hubs is to eliminate needless wear and tear on the front alxe drivetrain while not using 4WD. You have to lock the hubs to engage the axle when switching from 2WD to 4WD operation. Which means if you are stuck in a foot of mud you are going to get dirty unless you were smart enough to lock the hubs when you switched to 4WD before taking on the rough, muddy, sandy or whatever terrain that it is you are trying to tackle. Basically you are engaging and disengaging the front drive axle when you lock and unlock the front hubs. This is all done electronically now on most if not all 4WD vehicles. Hope this sums it up for you.

Freezing in Vermont said it. Most 2WD offroaders use anti-slip differentials or full lockers, such as the Detroit Locker, to accomplish the same thing as the 4x4ers. Just remember, if you're wheelin' in sand you want wider tires so as to "float," as opposed to snow where thinner tires would provide more "bite" to keep you going. Oh hell, just throw some BFG mud terrains as they have road manners and are awesome all around offroad/onroad tires. I used to have the Interco Boggers and their massive lugs sounded like a damn train on the road...drowned out my entire sound sytem. I would stear clear off all super swamper tires unless you do some serious offroading, or don't mind paying for a new set every 20K miles.

The real reason for the invention of unlocking hubs is to improve fuel economy when it is unnecessary to turn all the extra machinary involved with four wheel drive. Prior to the invention of unlockung hubs the front axles, differential and driveshaft turned constantly. As a thirty year plus mechanic I found more repairs on front drive axles that weren't used (due to rust) than those that were. Using or excercising the components regularly keeps the grease in the u-joints and differential fluid and evaporates any water which has accumulated.

If you are going to be in a situation which might require four wheel drive such as a hunting trip where you drive down the hard road then onto a muddy dirt road and back, lock the hubs before you leave camp while it's dry and not in a foot of mud. Then all that is required is to pull the lever to shift in the transfer case to engage the front wheels.

The thing to avoid at all costs is to drive for any distance on the hard road with four wheel drive engaged. This will quickly heat up and stress the transfer case beyond it's limits. And, with an automatic transmission, overheat the fluid causing damage.

During the off season, engage the hubs every so often to heat up the u-joints and differential to make them last longer. It's like turning on the air conditioner now and then during the winter to keep it lubed up.

Rick