Klipsch Quintet or Bose Acoustimass 6 Series III

bax7294j

Quintets, definitely Quintets. Would you be interested in a set of mint condition used Quintets? I just upgraded to the reference series. If you're interested PM me and maybe we can works something out.

As for receivers, look into the Denon 1604. Another receiver that I like for good bang/buck (and I think sounds very good w/ Klipsch) is the JVC 8030.

John

----------------

On 2/24/2004 1:54:28 PM bax7294j wrote:

I need help! I have $1100.00 to spend on a system and I don't know which way to go! Please give me some advise on which system I should buy and why I should buy it. Thanks.
1.gif

----------------

I have A/Bed the Bose AM systems and the Klipsch Quintets w/ KSW-10 subwoofer. In my opinion, I found the Klipsch to be way better than the Bose systems, even the pricier AM 16 II system. The speakers sounded much clearer and more detailed than the Bose. To me, the Bose sounded like as if a wet towel was thrown over the speakers. The sound just was not very distinque and clear. Dialogue was difficult to make out in some movies. The music just did not have the "punch" that I got from the Klipsch.

Also, going with the Klipsch will give you much more upgradability options. For example, if you decide to go up to bookshelf or even full tower speakers. You could keep some of the Quintets to pull surround duty as well as keep the sub. Likewise, if you decide you want to move up to a larger or better sub, but stay with the satellite speakers, you can easily do that with the Quintents. You cannot do that with the Bose. If you decide to upgrade in the future, you'll have to get a whole new system with the Bose.

That, right there, would be enough of a reason for me to go with the Klipsch or one of the other models suggested (Def Tech, Boston Acoustic, etc), not Bose. The only real advantage that the Bose has is the small size and sleekness of the system. I'll admit that I have always liked the styling of the Bose systems. Just wish the performance was there with the styles (form over function).

What people mean about "Bright" is this. Some people find the high frequency output to be to strong, and thus fatiquing with some compinations of speakers and recievers/amps, thus the it sounds "bright". Think of a light that is on to strongly, thus causing eye-strain. Now picture in your mind what that would sound like - something that could cause ear-strain.

Still, go and listen and see/hear for yourself. Go with the system that you feel delivers the better performance to your ears. That is probably the only real valid advice that can be given on here - "Go listen for yourself!".

----------------

Also, going with the Klipsch will give you much more upgradability options. For example, if you decide to go up to bookshelf or even full tower speakers. You could keep some of the Quintets to pull surround duty as well as keep the sub. Likewise, if you decide you want to move up to a larger or better sub, but stay with the satellite speakers, you can easily do that with the Quintents. You cannot do that with the Bose. If you decide to upgrade in the future, you'll have to get a whole new system with the Bose.

----------------

That is absolutely right. When I upgraded from Quintets to my Rx-25s, I upgraded the mains and center first. That left the Quintets pulling duty as surrounds. I was VERY surprised at how well they did. I had to bump them up a few dBs to keep up w/ the reference speakers, but I really thought that they would sound out of place w/ respect to timbre. Like I said I was impressed.

Be sure and listen to various receivers w/ the Klipsch. I know it may be kind of hard since BB is going to be the main supplier of the Quintets. I am one of the ones who personally doesn't like the Klipsch/Yamaha combo because of the brightness. It's kind of a shame to because Yamaha makes some very nice receivers w/ great features. However, Denon also makes some very nice receivers and they sound great w/ Klipsch. I'll also throw out my JVC recommendation again. I've been quite pleased w/ the sound and features of mine. The 8030 is a pretty nice unit for $250.

John

----------------

On 2/24/2004 10:26:08 PM yromj wrote:

That is absolutely right. When I upgraded from Quintets to my Rx-25s, I upgraded the mains and center first. That left the Quintets pulling duty as surrounds. I was VERY surprised at how well they did. I had to bump them up a few dBs to keep up w/ the reference speakers, but I really thought that they would sound out of place w/ respect to timbre. Like I said I was impressed.

John

----------------

You think of the ref series boost up the volume just because they have higher sensitivity......... quintet has only 88db @1W 1meter. All the ref are 93+db/1W 1meter, that means it's 50%+ higher volume even you replace them as ref 15 9.gif . Also the woofers give off bass for more "volume" too(not actual reading but you can feel more is coming off from them).

It's always true for bringing the quintet to the surround, they are not too sensitive that you have to turn them up a little. However they still do their job on surround. I've a pair of them still working with my RC-3II center and RB-5II mains 9.gif

----------------

On 2/24/2004 10:58:30 PM ccsakura wrote:

----------------

You think of the ref series boost up the volume just because they have higher sensitivity......... quintet has only 88db @1W 1meter. All the ref are 93+db/1W 1meter, that means it's 50%+ higher volume even you replace them as ref 15

----------------

CC,

Yep, that's what I was assuming the reason was. I still was amazed that they sounded as good as they did w/ the RB/C-25s. Heck I was amazed the first time I ever hooked them up though.

Hijack alert: CC, how do you like your Pioneer Elite? I'm going to be getting a new receiver sometime in the not-too-distant future. I'm leaning towards the 3803, but the Elite line is another I'm considering. You're one of the few I know of that has one. Pros/cons would be appreciated. (You may want to PM me so we don't totally hijack this thread.)

Thanks,

John

I would recomend klipsch, but have you checked out kef's pod looking setup pretty cool. I am not sure how much they cost but they got descent reviews when they first come out and i think sound and vision used them alot for testing. I sold a pair of quintets to my brother and his wife was like wow listen to how clear they are, and he has the athena af-1 or something with the single 8 inch woofer tower speaker. I thought she was going to say wow they sound like **** compared to the athenas. I only messed with them for a day and i got a better sound closer to the floor with them tilting up. Very cool brackets. I will be using a pair for awhile untill i upgrade. If i sell my main setup i want some references big time!3.gif

----------------

On 2/24/2004 11:33:31 PM yromj wrote:

CC,

Yep, that's what I was assuming the reason was. I still was amazed that they sounded as good as they did w/ the RB/C-25s. Heck I was amazed the first time I ever hooked them up though.

Hijack alert: CC, how do you like your Pioneer Elite? I'm going to be getting a new receiver sometime in the not-too-distant future. I'm leaning towards the 3803, but the Elite line is another I'm considering. You're one of the few I know of that has one. Pros/cons would be appreciated. (You may want to PM me so we don't totally hijack this thread.)

Thanks,

John

----------------

When you leap from satallite to bookshelf or even floorstanding there's always a huge gap between them. They sound completely different even they are in the same series(especially from satallite leap to others). If you can afford, go ahead with some bigger monsters like SB-1 or older version KSB 1.1(KSB 1.1 is old model that you can get them at the price around 100, which is only 10bucks more than quintet. Definitely worth upgrading's 10dollar bill) as the main speakers.

I'll send you the PM once I finish writing them 9.gif