5.1 Ultra sub placement

Erukian

Since this forum is all about subs, figured i'd try it out.

How do I position my sub so i get the most tones. Like I want a flat sound across the whole spectrum, not the sub hitting hard only in the 60-80 area and not dying off after 55 (the sub is supposed to die off after 35ish)

People say "put the sub where you sit and crawl around and hear where it sounds best". That doesnt work for me. My room is about 16x12. Computer is right in the middle of the wall, bed is behind me. I can relocate anything to make this sound good. The room is all wooden.

It's just been REALLY hard for me to find a good place for the sub where it sounds good on the whole spectrum.

Any tips?

That was a real hateful statement....man only wanted help.

And lets concider two things. Considering it is a MM sub, let alone one so "cheap"...think about its performance and the fact is was designed by the Reference team. I don't hate on a sub that does true 31.5hz performance (over 100db) with good output down to 27hz.

I understand this is HT, but good grief..its the same concept. TheEar's a die hard HT sub fanatic even agreed the Ultra sub had some impressive deep bass capability, esp. for the price bracket, and esp. for an MM sub.

Corner loading it only makes it more boomy. It just emphasizes the the 60-80hz range more. That's not what im shooting for.

The thing is when i elevate the sub on a wood chair so it's level with my head when i crawl around, it only sounds good when a driver from either side is facing my head. So I dont get how that whole crawling around thing works, since it's always going to sound more detailed if the driver is pointing at you.

I'm just a little frustrated because I'm not sure where to put it. Right now my computer is in the middle of a wall in a 13x18 room and the sub is about 3 feet from the corner and 6 inches away from the wall.

Should I have the slotted port face outwards rather than at the wall? What would sticking the sub say in my closet do?

Just curious, im dying for some good pointers since I know there's some knowledgeable people in here.

Another question while im here, the SWS link on the sub, does it only output a filtered frequency so say i hook up a sunfire to it, will the sunfire work with the crossover of the Ultra set (125hz and lower)? Can I hook up any sub to the sws link?

Just a few pointers and a answer to my quesiton would be super cool ;)

What's a really cheap sub I can tune higher or lower than the ultra sub? Like say i want my system to sound boomy, so i tune it up so it sounds like a z-680 sub, then i want it to dig deep for movies, so i tune it down for like LOTR. Something under 300-200 USD would be good, but I don't know if that's even possible.

Some of you guys are being plenty harsh on Erukian, and for no damn good reason. His question here is valid. This is the HOME AUDIO section. Last time I checked the Ultras were meant for home use. And he is asking about the Subwoofer. The concepts behind the questions he is asking do very well belong here and the conversation it spurs could be useful to many members of this forum.

Oh and Erukian, don't mind 5 liter here, he seems to have an abrasive attitude. And ditto what Innova said.

I apologize for the first comments in this thread, Erukian. The vast majority of the people on this forum are very friendly and helpful, unfortunately as you have seen there are some real jackasses too.

As far as positioning a sub, what can I say, it's really just trial-and-error since the acoustics are quite room dependant. I used the "crawling for bass" method when positioning my SVS and I suppose it worked pretty well. If I understand what you said earlier correctly, you don't need to place the sub in your chair at ear level. Just set it down on the ground where you sit, then get down on your hands and knees and crawl all across your room (around furniture of course). Wherever the bass sounds the flattest, the tightest, and/or the loudest (you might have to pick which of those terms describes the sound you like your sub to take on), that is where you should place your subwoofer. This is the method I used to position my sub, so I can't really say too much about other methods since I haven't tried them.

Technically I don't think the direction your sub faces (or as you say, turning it so the driver points at you) makes a difference, unless you're getting excessive port noise or something. Some guys like formica or fabulousfrankie with more knowledge than me please correct me if I'm mistaken.

Putting the sub in the closet, hmmm, I don't think so, but all I can say is just throw it in there and find out what it sounds like, you can always take it back out again. The trick with positioning a sub is experimention IMO, so don't be afraid to move it around. I'm constantly fiddling with mine trying to get it to sound its best.

Re. changing the tune of a sub, I think you can add a bit of polyfill material to the inside of the box thus altering the enclosed volume of air the driver "sees," and consequently change the tune of the sub a bit. I have seen some posts about aftermarket sub-stuffing but don't recall all the particulars; do a search of this forum for "polyfill" and/or "stuffing" and see what you come up with. I have never tried this before, so I can't say for sure if this is an effective tweak or not though, just referencing what I have read. Sorry for the long post.