Help with picking receiver - Yamaha RX-V1400 and Klipsch

DirtRider

Hi,

I am fairly new to all the Home Theater technologies and wanted some opinions on getting a new receiver. I have searched the forums and learned some but desire some more advise for my particular setup and questions.

My previous setup was an onkyo HTS-650 HTIB setup which was actually very good for the money I thought. I am still using the same receivers but am now powering a totally different speaker system. I have Klipsch rp-3 mains (have built in subs), a klipsch rc-3 center, and the new klipsch rs-35 surrounds. It is time to get a new receiver to power these newer speakers and relegate the onkyo HTIB set to another room. I give my background so that you know my ear isn't what I would say is well trained and I am by no means an expert in this so that is why I really want your opinions. The klipsch system I think sounds great with the cheap onkyo receiver as it is but I want to be able to use both systems so I might as well get a newer better receiver.

For the money I have seem that the yamaha rx-v1400 is highly regarded. I am thinking of going with this receiver for the YAPO.

1. I know I should make sure I get one that has PLIIx but are there any other things I should make sure to get?

2. Where is a good online place to order one with PLIIx? Lower cost is more of a factor than time but I do want to deal with a reputable place.

3. Are warranties honored by Yamaha when buying online? Do they have to be an authorized dealer?

4. Is this reciever a good match for my speaker system? I have heard people say this klipsch setup is bright. I don't actually know what they mean by that so someone please explain. I have also heard that this receiver is bright so with that combined should I be looking at something else?

5. I don't have an HDTV but plan on getting one soon (maybe a benq 8700 projector or sony 60" lcd). Is this receiver going to work well for that? Is there anything I should be looking for in a receiver to accomodate an HD setup better?

6. Are there other features other receivers have that the yamaha lacks that I should know about. Obviously there are tons of proprietary names for things that don't actually do much in the real world but if there are any major shortcomings of this model or anything owners wish they had I would like to know.

Any other advise is appreciated.

Thanks!

----------------

On 2/26/2004 1:55:36 PM DirtRider wrote:

Hi,

I am fairly new to all the Home Theater technologies and wanted some opinions on getting a new receiver. I have searched the forums and learned some but desire some more advise for my particular setup and questions.

My previous setup was an onkyo HTS-650 HTIB setup which was actually very good for the money I thought. I am still using the same receivers but am now powering a totally different speaker system. I have Klipsch rp-3 mains (have built in subs), a klipsch rc-3 center, and the new klipsch rs-35 surrounds. It is time to get a new receiver to power these newer speakers and relegate the onkyo HTIB set to another room. I give my background so that you know my ear isn't what I would say is well trained and I am by no means an expert in this so that is why I really want your opinions. The klipsch system I think sounds great with the cheap onkyo receiver as it is but I want to be able to use both systems so I might as well get a newer better receiver.

For the money I have seem that the yamaha rx-v1400 is highly regarded. I am thinking of going with this receiver for the YAPO.

//that's YPAO (Y amaha P arametric A coustic O ptimizer)

it really works!!//

1. I know I should make sure I get one that has PLIIx but are there any other things I should make sure to get?

//well-o.k. it DOES have that s.sound mode//

2. Where is a good online place to order one with PLIIx? Lower cost is more of a factor than time but I do want to deal with a reputable place.

//yamaha doesn't allow out-of-area sales..be careful!!//

3. Are warranties honored by Yamaha when buying online?

//probably NOT!//

Do they have to be an authorized dealer?

//IF you want the 2yr. warranty//

4. Is this reciever a good match for my speaker system? I have heard people say this klipsch setup is bright. I don't actually know what they mean by that so someone please explain. I have also heard that this receiver is bright so with that combined should I be looking at something else?

//i have paired yammy w/klipsch and i think they work well together//

5. I don't have an HDTV but plan on getting one soon (maybe a benq 8700 projector or sony 60" lcd). Is this receiver going to work well for that? Is there anything I should be looking for in a receiver to accomodate an HD setup better?

//this receiver up-converts composite and s-video to component, as well as allowing hd component signals to pass thru...PERFECT for hd tv's//

6. Are there other features other receivers have that the yamaha lacks that I should know about. Obviously there are tons of proprietary names for things that don't actually do much in the real world but if there are any major shortcomings of this model or anything owners wish they had I would like to know.

//this receiver has an EXCELLENT proprietary yamaha dsp chip in it//

Any other advise is appreciated.

Thanks!

----------------

JMO-but i'm thinking of trying this receiver w/ my cornwall/heresy2 surr.sys. in my living room. i have one hooked up to a ref sat spkr sys in our showroom and it ROCKS!!

avman.

p.s. $599 would be a GREAT price2.gif

I have the HT setup your talking about and I'm quite pleased with mine. I bought the v1400 about 6 months ago after my JVC got fried by lightening which was a good thing. I hated the JVC. The yamaha is connected to my cornwalls and heresies with a klipsch center channel. Sounds pretty darned good to me. It'll blow you out of the house. The yamaha to me was a little difficult to get used to, though. The remote isn't very user friendly in my opinion, but with all the features nothing in its class is going to be simple. It's a very heavy piece of equipment and so far hasn't given me any problems. I was considering the HK route but I heard there were reliability problems with HK these days. You can pick these up on Ebay for less that 550. Mine came with warrenty info. and I don't think I'll have any problems if I need to have if service. hope this helps you with your delima.

gk

Back in the 80's and into the 90's I would have told you to steer clear of a yamaha/klipsch marriage. I would have told you Denon and Klipsch are a near perfect mating however today I myself am now using a Yamaha/Klipsch set up for my HT, which is also doubles my main 2 channel as well. I use the RX V3300 it does not have the YPAO and I have not noticed a need for it. The unit you are talking about does have YPAO and I think its a good thing. The parametric EQ vs. a straight fixed freq/Q EQ is a much better option. As for the online support and warranty info, you can contact Yamaha directly to ask about that. http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/products.htm

My room is carpeted and is drywall. Low ceilings at about 7'. Currently setup in a 16'x 16' room. In about 6 months to be moved to a 24' x 15' room with a front projector (maybe benq 8700). The new room is same construction.

I wantto get a bang for the buck receiver. With the yamaha 1400s available at less than $600 shipped it seems like a steal. However, it seems many people have problems with the yamaha/klipsch package but nearly everyone is happy with the denon/klipsch package. I am wondering if I should wait for the new denon 3805 coming out soon. It could probably be had for about $1000 which is a lot more but if it sounds better it is worth it since I will be keeping this stuff for many years. What differences are there between these receivers? Anyone have any good links to info on the 3805? Is it still on time for release next month?

FYI - I got my rp3s used at $525 for the pair including 2 10' monster cable bi-wires, an rc-3 used for $150, and a pair of brand new rs-35s shipped to me for $400. As you can see I am cheap but wanted the best I could get for the money. This is the same philosophy I am applying in looking for in a receiver. Trouble is I think I will be buying the receiver new since technology changes in the receivers are probably worth the higher price.

What would the denon 3805 buy me over the yamaha rxv1400???????