Just about to take the Klipsch plunge but confused � need a push!

MarvinG

I just need some morale support from a knowledgeable community.

I was an audiophile-wannabee years back and recently started into HT. Bought an HDTV 2 years ago, a Harmon Kardon AVR 525 last year, and am now finally ready for a 5.1 system to complement it.

Due to challenges in this room, I need a strong centre channel and small-to-med footprint towers. Use of the system will be 60% HT and 40% music (jazz, soft rock etc). The room is about 11x17 with hardwood floors/area rug, wooden shutters. The only absorbent item is the leather couch!. Details at : http://members.rogers.com/msgtech3/ht/

On my short list is:

1)PSB Image Series :( 4t or 5t, 9c, 10s)

2)PSB Image Series 2004 lineup ( T55, C60, S50)

3)ENERGY Connoisseur Series(C7, CC3, CR3)

4)KLIPSCH Reference Series (RF35, RC35, RS35)

...plus a sub (likely Paradigm PW-2200 or SVS PB1-ISD)

Now here's my dilemma, and I think its a case of me needing some education.

Right or wrong, I grew up thinking that terms like natural, accurate, clear, transparent, flat, mellow, tight, smooth, warm etc were all GOOD qualities, and terms like, bright, harsh, boomy, coloured, forward, etc were BAD qualities.....and that all this could apply to:

- amplifiers

- speakers

- rooms

Right or wrong, Ive been biased to think the KLIPCSH are bright, harsh etc (..and thus particularly unsuitable for a room like mine with hardwood floors, shutters etc,). Of late however, as I read more, I aint so sure anymore when I see references to bright and clear, making me think bright isnt necessarily bad.

In fact, in the forums,I see the combination of HK and KLIPSH is a powerful combination, quite common. I've seen explanations for this given such as: warm receivers (e.g. HK, Marantz, Denon?) should be paired with bright speakers (KLIPSH, Energy? Paradigm) , and bright receivers ( Yamaha,?) should be paired with warm speakers (PSB, Boston Acoustics, etc)

So this leads me to a number of questions;

1) Can someone define these terms a bit better ? Does bright mean accentuating the higher range frequencies and warm means accentuating the midrange? and flat=accurate=transparent = no accentuation = ideal? If flat is good, why is bright also good?

2) Does this concept of pairing bright components with offsetting warm components have merit?

3) For my setup, can I therefore confiedently go for the KLIPSCH (a brand Ive always admired, just like HK) as they are a better match for the HK 525 than say the PSBs? Is my bright room a small or large factor? (I guess I could carpet it if I had too!!)

4) What about subs from what Ive read, at their price point, subs like the SVS PB1-ISD and Paradigm PW-2200 are better value than Klipsch subs. Are either of SVS or Paradigms a better match for the Reference lines? Both subs are about $900CDN at my door. Im leaning toward the a smaller boxed sub as this may give me more options in the room

Many thanks. Sorry for the long post!

Based on forum feedback about Reference/Harmon Kardon combinations, I think you could very confidently go to the Reference package with that amp and the SVS sub and have an astoundingly good HT.

"Bright" is a term that's used and abused all over the industry. The titanium tweeters used in Reference and Heritage Klipsch and mid-to-high-end JBL speakers are what make these speakers articulate strong, detailed high frequencies. Some refer to this articulation as "bright".

Ultimately, for your own peace of mind, I'd suggest bringing your amp down to your local Klipsch dealer and plugging it in. If the dealer has a problem with it, find a different dealer. No one should have any complaints about a customer wishing to test-drive a pair of speakers on their own amplifier.

Take some music or a dvd and go and listen for yourself. It all comes down to what your ears like. If the store wants to make a sale they will be more than happy to help you in your quest. In taking your own music you can compare the same source on the different systems. Just remember that Klipsch is what all other`s are compared to and have been for a very long time.

Bill

I have hardwood, ceramic tile and lots of glass. This is a potential problem for any speaker due to 1st reflections which tend to muddy the sound a bit. I tame the reflections with a colorful throw rug located between the fronts/center and the listening area. The R-35 series should be an excellent match with the HK. Klipsch Refs only sound bright by comparison to other lesser speakers. On their own they sound great. The horn tweeters do magical things for multi-channel HT since they are a better localized sound source than a dome or a cone. Just my $.02

Jerry Rappaport

----------------

On 3/1/2004 5:55:26 PM analogman wrote:

Stereophile's website has J.G.H.'s excellent glossary of audio terms for free.A must read for all.Makes it much easier to communicate subjective impressions encountered so often in this hobby.

Analogman

----------------

Good, now maybe I can figure what "chalky" and "whitish" means.

Matching components are inportant. lIke having a bright reciever you would want to have a neutral cable with a warmer receiver, and vicy vercy. Unless you really like bright then that's your bag. ( I can tell you what dry means in guitar amps. NO effects or a processed sound. Now chalky that is bothering me i keep picturing a powdery almost squeek across a chalk board. This doesn't sound good to me. How about scraping your fingers across a chalk board. Yikes!