Altec Lansing Model 14

RIGGED25

Rigged---It's been a long time since I heard a 14 but it's a good speaker. Dynamics and output are comparable to a Klipsch Heresy though the 14 has a bigger box and should go lower in the bass but it's also less efficient than a Heresy. Yeah, they'd rock pretty well, far better than most speakers.

All in all I'd rather have a Heresy. But the little Altec is very good.

Value, I dunno. I'd pay $300-400 just for the horns and compression drivers though if I was still doing DIY horns. The 902 drivers and MantaRay horns would be a nice mod for Heresys....... :-)

Hi,

I just got a pair of nearly mint Model 14's. I also have a nice set of Heresey's. I had trouble initially getting the Model 14 to sound right. They were very bright and shrill sounding compared to my reference system which is K-horns with Conrad-Johnson EL-34's strapped to Triode operation. Damn, its hard to be objective about other systems when you've been listening to the Klipschorns for ten years. Anyway, after taking them apart looking for a problem I found that the drivers had loosened from the motor board. After torqueing them up the sound improved considerably. But back to Altec 14 vs Heresey, The Altec just sounds larger than the little Klipsch, at least as dynamic, much deeper base is possible but I feel that the tonal balance of the Heresey is closer to what I like. I am having fun playing around with differant hifi combinations and I don't think you would go wrong with the 14's. I got mine for a little over $400.

• Moderators

Let me ask since you are talking about Altic Lansing,would anybody know what model Altic would have 2-15 low freq and a 24" horn in one cabinet,The man that has it {it is only a single speaker} thinks it is about 25 or 30 years old,I don't want it being a single but i thought someone might want it for parts he is asking $150 for it. thanks.

If the horn is mounted on top of the cabinet, it is the movie/school/church/theater version of the A7 'voice of the theater' it is a model A5. Depending on the condition of the 15"s and the model of the HF driver it is a bargain just for the parts...real heavy alnico magnets in the 15's (if they are original and not reconed or monkey'd with)....very efficient but not quality of Klipsch LaScala's or Khorns for home use IMHO.

The box is huge and you need a truck to move one of these A5. If it is 2x15" with a horn in the middle centered above the 2 15" it is a ? model and was used as a sound studio monitor in the good old days....way, way cool item.