Interesting thoughts about room treatments from Ethan Winer

Griffinator

This took me by surprise today - a discussion on his own forum dedicated to all things acoustical...

In a room with low ceilings I much prefer a reflective floor with an absorbent ceiling. That makes the ceiling behave as if it were infinitely high acoustically, which is a good thing.

So much for hardwood floors being a problem...

> what about the walls?

All rooms need a mix of absorbent and reflective surfaces. Somewhere around 25% coverage for absorbers is about right. And some of that absorption should be on the side walls and ceiling at the first reflection points.

No treatment on the floor, but rather maximum treating (fiberglass panels, preferably hung, not nailed) on the ceiling and 25% coverage with bass traps and panels on the walls...

Completely a shocker to me. I was trying to figure out how to afford new carpeting in my basement to try and tame the concrete...

Total area is about 24x18. <

That's a nice size. Set up so the loudspeakers fire the long way into the room. Then trap the corners, including the ceiling corners, and put absorption on the side walls and ceiling about half way between you and the loudspeakers.

Another interesting note for the two-channel enthusiasts - to minimize reflection, get your speakers the short corners so they'll throw the long way.

Here's a link to an article he wrote that explores it some more.

http://www.ethanwiner.com/acoustics.html

Hope it helps!

That's kind of the way Kirk Hammet's home studio is from Metallica. I can't tell if their is carpet or cement from the pictures. I got pictures of his studio in a guitar world and if you have garage inc their are some shots of his studio in the cd sleeve. That is the way they got their sound absorbers. I would love to hear some klipsch' s with a room treated like that!

Intresting but subjective to say the least, there are dozens of approachs all of which yeild the same results.

First off starting with the ISO wall system so the room can float and not flutter under EXTREME 20hz bass. I`ve been in rooms built like this and it`s almost impossible to find a subwoofer that can out perform the room.

95% of home HT rooms cannot handle the performace of a single sub little own 2 firing out of phase.

2 schools of thought dominate this topic , first is the camp that believes in building the room like a giant sponge and second that deal with reflection and absorbtion.

Both work if done properly , this is the hard part .

Acoustic room correction with MCACC or YPAO can help, since the perfect room does not exist even when treated. Klipsch speakers work well with acoustic room correction due to less chance of clipping. (Note that I do NOT claim that there is no chance of clipping.)

Room treatments and room corrections are the future for improved home audio along with DVD-A and SACD.

Bill