? for HDBRbuilder/or others

hoggy

When I asked about sealing my Khorns, you stated that it was bset to use grippers on the bottom of the Khorns when on plywood. I have sealed my Khorns to the wall and built 3/4" plywood bottoms and have not got around to getting the grippers yet. It's my understanding that the grippers should be placed in several places around the bottom. Does that mean the bottom works best completing the Bass horn with air space between the bottom of the horn and plywood floor or does one have to gasket between the two(bottom of tailboard and triangle of bottom to plywood flooor? If so, wouldn't it be just as good to just set the speaker on the plywood as shown in my attached pic? Hmm didn't realize my wall needed painting that badly sheesh. BTW anyone have a couple of extra pie badges they want to sell me?

Thx much,

hoggy

post-14102-13819253190844_thumb.jpg

Grippers are black neoprene foam rubber, with one side having a peel-n-stick and the other having pebble-grain for traction. Because they are neoprene(closed-cell foam rubber like on wet-suits), the weight of the K-horn will squash them pretty much flat, so there won't really be any air under the bass horn because they won't be holding it up any to amount to anything. What the grippers actually DO is to let the cabinet GRIP the surface it sits on...and form a kind of seal to it...so that vibrations don't de-stabilize the cabinet...this allows for more stability in the top-end components and gives tighter response THERE, while giving tighter bass response in the bottom-end by eliminating vibration between the speaker and what it sits on. Remember...to get the best usage out of grippers, you HAVE to pry out the gliders on the bottom of the bass bin BEFORE installing the grippers. If you leave the gliders ON, then it nullifies what the grippers CAN do for the speaker. For using grippers to seal the K-horn bass bin to a smooth surface , it is best to lay out a perimeter of grippers about half to 3/4 inch in from the outer perimeter of the bass bin's bottom. Then take some more of them and arrange them in the center of the cabinet bottom, so that no posible center sag of the cabinet can allow the cabinet to actually contact that smooth surface it sits on...you want the seal to be with the grippers between the bass bin and the smooth surface...with no chance of the cabinet itself vibrating against that smooth surface! Try it...you'll like it!2.gif