La Scala HT System

weathermann

I have owned Klipsch speakers for over 20 years and couldn't be happier on that front. I have a pair of lovely walnut Belles for my living room audio system (McIntosh pre/amp/CD). I also have a pair of La Scalas that I would like to use as the mains in my den HT system and a pair of Heresys for the rears. I need a front center channel.

Fortunately, I also have a third La Scala. Unfortunately, I have absolutely no room to use the monster as a front center channel. I need something smaller that can be positioned above my set (Sony 40XBR). I have been thinking that one approach for my HT system would be coupling the hi and mid horns of the third La Scala with one or two smaller direct firing woofers in a set top box. This would provide good system matching, at least on the hi and mid horn sections, but hopefully, in a smaller package.

I am looking for feedback on:

1. the merits of my idea, and if there is any merit:

2. recommendations for woofers compatible with the La Scala horns and providing a reasonable system match;

3. recommendations on a crossover or crossovers to use with such a setup;

4. recommendations on cabinet size/configuration;

5. thoughts on shielding issues;

6. any other relevant comments;

7. or, should I just bag it and buy a standard center channel, and if so, which one?

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Tim

I would just set your Sony 40XBR on top of the La Scala and use it as the center channel. If my remote chance you experience any effects from the magnets but you may not they can be remedied. Your only other option would be to find an Academy to use as a center but if you get the La Scala in there it would surely blow the Academy away. I have a La Scala center laying on its side with my Sony 43" RPTV perched on top of it and it works great a seamless match to my Khorn mains. I use Cornwalls and Heresy II's in the rear. Try it you'll like it!

Tim

Welcome to the forum.

Just remember that the midrange is the most important part of the center. You will need to get down to the 80HZ level and let your subs take it from there.

Unless you are Q-man!!! He is building the king of all centers and doing a great job.

Back to your isses with Space... If you can not put your TV on top of your LAS, a custom center like you describe will work great.

What I did was mount a K77 and K400 over my projection screen and used a pair of K22s below my screen. It does a good job and I am happy with it.

You have a start to a GREAT HT. Very NICE.

JM

I have given this some thought for my own HT. How about cutting the top off the Lascala. Lay the woofer over on its side to either the far right or left of the TV or leave it vertical if the height is the same. Build a center attachment, centered under the TV, to hold the mid and tweet with a false front on the left side of the center so the box is symetrical. Cover the whole thing with grill and no one will know the left side is a dummy. You could cover the monster with three panels so the left side could be hinged so it could be used for storage of movies or the dvd. It could be covered with the same grill cloth as the center and right side. The whole thing would end up about 6 foot wide.

Weathermann,

Many of us here were or are in the same predicament as you. Several of us have built custom centers to timbre match our large heritage speakers. This was the direction I took because I too had to deal with a big screen in the center and no room to add another La Scala for a center speaker. There are many threads on the BB you can search for, just type in custom center and see what pops up. Here is a pic of the center I built if you are interested.

Scooter

post-8797-13819253198284_thumb.jpg

Try looking for an Industrial La Scala. They are a two cabinet setup, with the low bin separate from the mid/high pack. We used to use them in pa applications, stacked from bot to top as lo-lo-mid/high-mid/high- made an awesome 6' stack and very portable as well.

You could set your TV on top of the lo bins, with possibly some additional supports, then place the mid/high pack on top of the TV. It is my understanding that if the magnets cause TV interference, that a matching magnet, placed pole-to-pole inside the cabinet, will nullify this effect. That in essence is what makes a 'shielded' speaker. They are not really shielded, just the magnetic effect outside of the cabinet is nullified by the extra magnet. (I could be off on this one)

Good luck- sounds like the makings of an awesome system.