best sub for fr-35

companion

what is the best sub that is no more than 800 for a rf-35 main rs-35 rear and rc-35 center mostly using it for music and sacd's or multi channel music and some movies so please help me pick out a gig musical sub with good lows and punchy bass i was thinking the svs 25-31 pc+ any way's what you think¿

In that price range, either the 25-31PC+ or the HSU VTF-3MkII. If $1000 is possible, the SVS PB2-ISD.

----------------

Carl.

Samsung TXN3245FP,Harmon Kardon AVR 7200,Denon DVD-2900,RF3II,RC3II,RS35,KLF-C7,RC35,SVS 20-39PCi,SVS PB2-ISD

Yamaha RX-V1300,Onkyo SKS-HT500,Axiom QS-8,HSU VTF-2

• 2 months later...

I'm new to this....

Does it make sense to buy a Sub that costs more than both of your flr. standing speakers combined .... I was thinking that a sub should cost the same as one flr. standing?

Is there a generally accepted practice ?

----------------

On 6/2/2004 10:32:49 AM rsarma wrote:

I'm new to this....

Does it make sense to buy a Sub that costs more than both of your flr. standing speakers combined .... I was thinking that a sub should cost the same as one flr. standing?

Is there a generally accepted practice ?

----------------

Actually, that isn't a completely acurrate statement. The sub in a lot of home theater setups can be the most pivital component of your loudspeaker system. Those who are avid music-only lovers will spend thousands on their 2-channel mains, movie lovers may spend thousands on their 57-in plazma monitor or projector, and a lot of people feel that (sometimes in either case) the sub can be the difference between a dry experience and one that leaves you breathless.

Subs are typically expensive speakers. In order to get a "blow you away" type of sound you generally have to drop some cash. You can sometimes get by with a pretty good deal on some great sounding main speakers under $500/piece, however it's rare that an earth shaker of a sub will come in much under $1000. Of course there are always exceptions (SVS's included) but to move a whole lot of air accurately and powerfully it takes more than a mass market sub. 3.gif