1-1 1/2" Neoprene Grippers for bottom of bass bin

"If you are installing the K-horns on a SMOOTH-surfaced floor (floor without carpet or rug under the bass bin)and you want to get the most out of them, then it is best to seal them to the floor too...here is how to do it. Remove the metal gliders that are hammered into the bottom of the bass bin...there should be three or four of these. Go to Wal-mart and get a package or two per speaker of the 1" to 1-1/2" diameter black neoprene "Grippers"...they are self-adhesive. They are found in the hardware section where you find furniture leg feet and stuff. Place a minimum of one gripper at each corner of the BOTTOM of the bass bin, with another two or three or so centered at the bottom of the bass bin. This will provide a better seal to the floor which is also a part of the horn extension to either side of the bass bin."

My 3/4" plywood triangle corners for the Khorns to sit on are getting the final coat of flat black paint this evening. I was wondering if someone (HDBR) could be a little more specific about the neoprene grippers. Should I stack 2 or 3 of these grippers and let the speaker weight compress them for the seal or is just one enough? Is more around the perimeter and in the middle of bass bin a good thing or over kill? I would run a silicone bead around the bottom of the bass bin but I have new speaker grill clothe ordered from Klipsch and the speakers will have to come back out for that. Also I will be having some veneer work done and they will have to come out of the corners again to address that. I am afraid the silicone bead after I move them in and out of the corners a couple of times will wear off.

Your help is appreciated. All the best, Guy

Moran,

I have taken the ply out for now. It messed my upper bass and mids up quite a bit. I'll try it once more with the grippers. So far I'm 0 for 2. Tried the dynamatt on the squawker didn't like now the plyfood for floor, also have not liked. Guess it may end up being personal prefernces. But I'll try all options to make up my mind. I have Al's A networks coming today. Sure hope this won't be 0 for 3. I'd hate to send them back after waiting since Christmas.

hoggy

Maron Horonzak, thanks for stoping by. I have seen you vent on this subject before. But lets look at this objectively and not try to ruffle each others feathers. I am here to have fun and learn. 1/2 db you say...ok every 3db doubles sound soooooooooooooooo a 1/2 of a db would be equivalent to a 1/6th or a 16.67 ohhhhhhhhhh lets call it a 17% gain. In my book that is significant. Guy

Blues......Im not venting. Just trying to save you hard labor. If you want to have some fun then aquire a anechoic chamber, audio oscillater, calibrated mic. & try to find what you hear corralates with your calculations. I was shocked at my findings. Some tweeks are just voodoo dancing in the fog. Ive walked into that fog myself. Want to buy a TICE CLOCK? If you want to sweat your A$$ off to gain 1/2 db go right ahead. I dont mind you pissing against the wind I wonte hear it.

maron Horonzak, I'm just having fun, don't take me too seriously.

You started that thread off nice "Blues......Im not venting. Just trying to save you hard labor." And then you got anal on me "If you want to have some fun then aquire a anechoic chamber, audio oscillater, calibrated mic. & try to find what you hear corralates with your calculations." And then HOLY CRAP6.gif ....You slapped my sily " I dont mind you pissing against the wind I wonte hear it."

On the lighter side. I do appreciate all the info. and tips. That is why I am here.

BLUES......I love this forum. Ive learned alot from the people here. If at times I sound hard nose & cranky I dont mean to. I just had the lucky oppertunity to be able to work along with some of the early scientists on this Khorn bass bin coupling theary. so we listened & measured & listeded & measured. added mass coupeling here & there & measured & listened & Found mass coupling only effected upper bandwidth. And THAT can be heard. Some times confuseing as a difference in bass output. Bass harmonics at times are confused with the fundimental.

Actually you don't even have to remove the metal feet. Just use the neoprene or thick, wide, closed cell foam....like used for weather stripping. Some are stiffer & denser than others. Go with the dense stiff stuff. Its perfectly adequate.