Need 5.1 advice

Deadmeat

Ok here's the deal. I'm looking for some speakers for my bedroom. First off its about the size of a normal colledge dorm. Right now i have ok altecs for my pc but looking to upgrade. Heres my problem i don't have huge funds to buy computer speakers AND a average 5.1 system. I already have downstairs wired with dd/dts for dvd's so thats all good. I need a speaker setup that will kick *** on the pc and be above avrage to watch tv/dvd/video games. I'm buying a 5.1 sb card or a hercules gamerxp so i'll have the decoder thats not a porblem. Would you guys recommened the new 5.1's for a few dvd's from time to time when i need to be alone and for the upcoming xbox which will be in my room and support 5.1 sound. Thanks if you need more info ask

Get a Hercules Game Theatre XP, not an SBLive! 5.1. The GTXP is better. Anyways, if you want dolby digital and DTS, there is this one piece of software coming out called WinDVD 3.0

As soon as it comes out, BUY IT. it does both, in software, and has AWESOME picture quality. The 5.1 will work great with your system.

Oh, what DVD's do you have?

------------------

"Feh."

You can check out the Midiland 8200's. However, how you want them to be kick *** in games and ok in movies, I believe it's the other way around with 5.1 The whole reason behind 5.1 is for 5.1 surround sound! This system kicks major *** for movies and is ok for games. Hell, the only thing it's lacking is a bass which isn't quite as punchy, but you can set the system up to give it a little more "umph" You can check out my review here:

http://www.pcabusers.com/midiland8200/intro.html

BTW: I was hella-lucky and got a great deal on the system--$225 shipped to my door. I got it from buying it online from the PCA message board. If you look around long enough, you might find a good deal on 'em.

This message has been edited by Hipnotic_Tranz on 07-01-2001 at 12:39 PM

GLUEGUN: "Get a Hercules Game Theatre XP, not an SBLive! 5.1. "

Gluegun, how exactly is the Game Theatre XP better than the sblive 5.1 platinum card? I just brought my sb live 5.1 platinum card 2 weeks ago and if you give me good reasons as to why that hercules is better, ill return it, thanks

quote:

Originally posted by spevack:

GLUEGUN: "Get a Hercules Game Theatre XP, not an SBLive! 5.1. "

Gluegun, how exactly is the Game Theatre XP better than the sblive 5.1 platinum card? I just brought my sb live 5.1 platinum card 2 weeks ago and if you give me good reasons as to why that hercules is better, ill return it, thanks

I own and use both, so no, I'm not going to give a bias opinion just because I own one. I prefer the Hercules Game Theatre over anything in the Live series.

The first point is it's inputs and outputs. There is nothing in the consumer market that can match this, unless you go to professional quality music editors, etc. With all the RCA, optic and coaxial digital's, MIDI, miniplug's, etc etc, it's perfect for many setups.

The second is the sound quality. In my opinion (remember, sound is all opinion based) it is crisper and cleaner then what my live is, when hooked to the same speakers. This could just be my ear, but I've had them side by side and just switched soundcards to try it myself.

Third, is that is supports both A3d AND Eax. A3D is an old standerd, but still very good. And the fact it supports EAX and EAX2 is a HUGE plus. (though I find it's EAX support is not quite as sharp as the Live series, but is still very good)

Fourth, it uses less system resources in games and to play mp3's (mp3 accelerator onboard).

Finally, it's 100% compatable. No more Live + Via or AMD chipset issue's, and the Herc is a dream to use in Windows 2000, as opposed to the nightmare my Live poses to me every time I format and begin installing drivers.

I like both cards, but the Hercules beats the 5.1 Plat in my opinion, option wise and feature for feature, and then if you look at the price, the extra savings are a nice bonus as well. I'd personally go with a second Hercules if I could return my Live, but I'm content to use it in my second computer, as it serves me well.

My two cents.

I'd take the GameTheatre of the Platinum NE day.

------------------

Living Room:

Yamaha Natural Sound A-500 Stereo Amplifier

2 Klipsch Heresys on A switch

2 Fisher STV-873 on B switch

My Room:

Klipsch Pro Medias

2 Fisher Surrounds

quote:

Originally posted by dcunneen:

Both sound cards are excellent, but one thing to bear in mind is that GTXP does not support 5.1 gaming, whereas the Live! 5.1 series does.

what do you mean it doesnt support 5.1 gaming? That should be the game's fault right? If the game creaters didnt make their game to support 5.1 then there wont be 5.1. The sound card should support it.

------------------

Sex is like pizza, when it's good, it's really good. When it's bad, it's still pretty good.

quote:

Originally posted by dcunneen:

Both sound cards are excellent, but one thing to bear in mind is that GTXP does not support 5.1 gaming, whereas the Live! 5.1 series does.

5.1 gaming is decided by the GAME, not by the soundcard. Both the Live 5.1 and the Herc GTXP support 5.1 output, and if the game has it built in, they both soundcards will be able to output it. It's not a case of one supporting the feature over the other.

The Promedia 5.1 speakers are going to be Fuc*ing awesome...i cant wait till they come out i already preordered them at outpost...it says to sexpect delivery on the 15th of July...Is that the date it comes out on or is it a different date???

Thanks,

Mike