Speaker Foam

RBM

I just bought a pair of Klipsch RCW3. I am going to use them as rear surround (7.1). Due to my rooms configuration I have to use In Wall Speakers. The walls are already sheet rocked. I had this idea to possibly improve the acoustics of the wall;

I am thinking of purchasing some acoustic foam used in speaker cabinets and after running the speaker wire surround the foam in the opening in the wall then install the speakers. I am hoping this may help improve the sound. The wall is an inside wall no insulation. When I built the house, I the installed two Klipsch IW250 in the ceiling. I use them as surround speakers. I did not use any insulating. The results are OK but I am always looking to improve things. Just for reference; I use Heresy II for my fronts and a KSC-C1 for the center and a SW-12II for the sub.

What I am asking is; Has anyone done anything similar?

Does anyone have a better idea with satisfactory results?

Any ideas how to secure the foam if I use it? I was going to staple gun it to the adjacent studs and glue the back to the back of the Sheet rock to the adjacent wall.

I appreciate any help or suggestions.

Thanks

Don't use speaker foam. Don't use anything in the walls, actually.

Hang Owens-Corning 703 panels (2'x4') in strategic places in your room - note, I said hang, not nail to the wall. Cover 'em with fabric to make them look OK. Will do a much better job of improving your room, with less hassle.

Using insulation in the wall will make the speaker enclosure appear larger from a speaker's point of view. This will lower the Q of the system, but without knowing the walls internal volume as well as the drivers Theil/Small specifications, it's hard to say of how it will affect the sound quality. If the speaker is operating in it's typical Q=7 "design range"... increasing the volume will soften the bass and make it somewhat less bassy/boomy.

In any case, sound transmission to the accompanying room will remain pretty unchanged and quite noticeable... regardless of the cavity insulation.

Don't know if that's of any help... 2.gif

Rob

----------------

On 3/8/2004 4:23:59 PM formica wrote:

Using insulation in the wall will make the speaker enclosure appear larger from a speaker's point of view. This will lower the Q of the system, but without knowing the walls internal volume as well as the drivers Theil/Small specifications, it's hard to say of how it will affect the sound quality. If the speaker is operating in it's typical Q=7 "design range"... increasing the volume will soften the bass and make it somewhat less bassy/boomy.

In any case, sound transmission to the accompanying room will remain pretty unchanged and quite noticeable... regardless of the cavity insulation.

Don't know if that's of any help...
2.gif

Rob

----------------

So you're saying that the RCW's are not sealed-enclosure? How sad.

----------------

On 3/8/2004 4:47:41 PM Griffinator wrote:

So you're saying that the RCW's are not sealed-enclosure? How sad.

----------------

ummm... ? Once in the wall, yes they will act as sealed enclosures. The "Q" I was referring to is the Qtc ... or if you prefer the total Q of sealed system at resonant frequency.

----------------

On 3/8/2004 5:01:24 PM formica wrote:

ummm... ? Once in the wall, yes they will act as sealed enclosures. The "Q" I was referring to is the Qtc ... or if you prefer the total Q of sealed system at resonant frequency.

----------------

So it's an open-back speaker until the wall acts as an enclosure.

Too bad, really.

Triad's in-wall systems are all pre-sealed enclosures. You can mount them on a piece of plywood with no backing and it won't change the sound a bit. Better to not be at the mercy of your carpenter when dealing with your speakers.

----------------

On 3/5/2004 5:32:22 PM RBM wrote:

I am thinking of purchasing some acoustic foam used in speaker cabinets and after running the speaker wire surround the foam in the opening in the wall then install the speakers.

Any ideas how to secure the foam if I use it?

----------------

I use 1-1/2"(#24) & 2"(#32) steel "T-Pins" made by GEM available (or can be ordered) at most office supply stores. They're cheap. Easy to push into the drywall. And do very little damage to the wall or acoustic foam. I've even used them to 'stack' several layers of acoustic foam tiles randomly on top of each other to increase the depth to 6".