Anyone Voom?

User Name

We all hear so much about Dish vs. DirecTV but who's got Voom TV? I hate my cable and want to switch to a satellite provider and I have an HD set so HD programming would be cool. Voom TV has close to 40 HD channels so I'm looking for people who subscribe to voom and their corresponding opinions.

It's like $750 for the whole kit & kaboodle which they claim is less than DirecTV because Voom provides an off air antenna free installed so you can get your locals in HDTV.

Send me a line so I know who to choose. You always hear 3 rooms of DirecTV for free but I'm looking for one of those sets to be HD but when you always ask how much extra for the one HD box, they never give me a straight answer. Guess they are too wrapped up in their promotion deals giving away 25 dollar DVD players with a 1 year subscription.

Thanks.

• Like 1

Voom has a lot of HDTV...but nothing else from my research...

also directv HDTV reciever....has hookups for local antenna....and integrate them into the menu lineup

Radioshack for $30 an you are in business....as local HDTV is in the rnage of UHF...so them big ole ulgy antennas work....mount in attic run wire and presto local HDTV.....

Problem is not a lot of HDTV content...I mean how many times can ya watch a helicopter fly over glaciers and other nature things...

CBS has a lot of HDTV programming and most of it is worth watching...

NBC well stinks not much is HDTV

ABC....eh...better then NBC...but only about 10% of primetime is HDTV

FOX....a joke....a faux HDTV signal..and then they have nothing to watch but football and the season is over....

HBO and showtime have HD...but I prefer to watch the DVD of these movies....

It is a hard choice...but I prefer the larger selection of channels available on directv....I would hate to be limited to 40 channels....not sure anything would be on worth watching sometimes..

Good luck

here are the channels i get in HD w/my Dishnetwork HD sat rcvr/integrated digital tuner:

HBO

Showtime

Discovery HD Theater

ESPN-HD

HDNET

HDNET movies

HD event channel(PPV)

HD PPV(pay-per-view movie channel)

local digital:

CBS

NBC

ABC

UPN

WB

i watch some hd stuff just because it is HD!!

avman.

p.s.: most of the channels VOOM offers are NOT true HD, but'up-converted'...BIG difference between the two.

Voom has more than just the 40 HD channels, they have TLC, comedy central, CNN, HBO, etc... just like DirecTV. Voom won't get you NFL Sunday ticket or special packages like that.

It's a company only less than 1 year old so I want to make sure it will stick around after I invest a lot of dough. Dish Network just dropped Comedy Central and MTV and some other channels from their service so I definitely wouldn't go with them in the future.

• Like 1

----------------

On 3/10/2004 1:58:59 PM User Name wrote:

Dish Network just dropped Comedy Central and MTV and some other channels from their service so I definitely wouldn't go with them in the future.

----------------

well, i'm glad i have Dishnetwork. at least they don't roll over and take it up the arse for viacom. i'm sure they will work it out, without getting raped over the price.

JMO-avman.

That is an intersting point about voom being bought. The rumor is that they will be for sale in a year. Who will buy? Maybe dish, aftor all voom is using there sats. Voom is also a good idea because they have a better mpeg system. One that if they turn on uses less bandwidth and can result in much bette pq and more channels than the other. I have been looking at them also.

They are running a special right now. No money and you rent there boxes. I think it is like 9.00 a month rental fee.

A nother thing to think about is that as it looks right now voom will be the last system to have a HDdvr device.

To me Voom is the future and Directv and Dish and cable better start and get there act togeather because HD is here to stay and is only getting better, and bigger. This remines me of when Directv and Dish first came out. Much of all this was said about them and look where they are now.