Heritage Center Channel Mods - Additional Horn Section

Frzninvt

I am currently using a La Scala as a center channel, I have it laying on its side because if I stood it upright my RPTV would be placed too high up for comfortable viewing. It works well the way I have it, but there is always room for improvement. I am purchasing a La Scala Pro Top End (Horn) Section that I plan to set on top of my RPTV. However, I have some questions. Should I run this in addition to the Horn Section in the La Scala that is under the TV, or should I disconnect the Midrange & Tweeter in it and run the top horn section only? Does the Pro La Scala top section have a crossover housed in it since it has a single set of banana plug inputs? Should I use it, or should I run leads from the "AA" in the La Scala and connect them individually to the Midrange & Tweeter inside the Top Horn Section.

My plan was to run both sets of mids and highs to further improve dialogue/detail not that it really needs it but any reason not to? Thoughts?

IMHO, running both sets of horns, one H, one V orientation, would spray the sound too widely around the room, ruining the sense of localization that the center/dialog channel requires. You could also run into timing problems if driver to ear distance is considerably different. Wouldn't the vertical array also tend to send sound to floor and ceiling which would reach your ears at different times, further blurring the sound. With the seperate mid/high pack on top of TV, you could aim the sound directly at your 'sweet spot'. Re x-over I don't know, in PA days we always biamped the industrial LaScalas with electronic x-overs. If they don't have their own, it'd be a simple mod to route the outputs of internal (full cabinet) LaScalas to dual jacks to provide input to mid/highs.

I love my Cornwalls and would enjoy having a 'matched' set of heritage for HT, but have some reservations since these cabinets were not designed for todays HT systems, particularly with regard to dispersion characteristics. I know it's heresy (bad pun), but I really like my Corn-RC7-Corn setup. The center channel is just too important to rely on older designs, notwithstanding the timbre issue.

Frozen

I would not run two mids and tweets at the same time. It will sound better with just one. You have a good chance of clouding up your sound with two. If you really want two you will have to modify your xover, I would not run both off the same xover leads and, honestly, one is more than enough to fill the room. You definetly want to run the K400 horizontal, but you might want to play with the K77 in both directions.

I would mount your xover in your top half, keeping your squawker and tweeter wires as short as possible, running a longer cable down to you woofer.

JM

Thanks JM,

I was just going to run another lead from the amplifier to the horn section I was not going to double them up on the AA crossover. I think the La Scala Pro Sectional Horn top has a X'over in it but I may be mistaken. So the concensus so far is only to run a single K400/K-55V & K-77 set up which I will do. It the top section has no crossover I will just run leads from the AA in the La Scala to the midrange and tweeter. The leads will be short (around 3ft) and I will use 12ga wire. I think it is going to be better than my current layout. I was going to orient it with the tweeter below and the midrange on top, but it will be simple to flip over and try the other way. I should have it next week, it will need a some cleaning and repainting but should look good when I am done. It is awesome, just when you think your system cannot get any better BAM another improvement comes along.

John, I have no idea where the bass section is. I stumbled across the top section and picked it up for $75 which I thought was a hell of a deal. It was nearby to me as well in Saco, ME so shipping was less than $20. Cool so if it has a crossover in it then all I need to do is disconnect the midrange and tweeter in the La Scala, and then run a lead from the amplifier to the sectional midrange and tweeter. I wonder how that will affect the ohm load to my amplifier though. Hmmmm.

Actually, I'd use the crossover in the Pro HF and run leads to the woofer screws on the old crossover. If the Pro HF has a Type AL crossover, remove the input panel and run leads to the squawker and tweeter in the Pro HF. You amp will never know the difference.

Well I got it yesterday and it was made in 1986 and it does have the AL crossover in it. Why is the AL considered such a dog? It however is missing the K-55M driver I called the place and they were very understanding about it, and they want to make it right. I tried to bid on some K-55M's last evening and got outbid, hopefully Jim Cornell will come through with one for me. I think I am going replace the K-400 in it with the K-401 for weight and possible ringing issues. What needs to be done to an "AA" crossover to run the K-55M? Cap value? Can the AL run the K-55V without any audible side affects?