What brand klipsch speakers for my home theater

Hensley300

OK. So, my cerwin vega loudspeakers are now 11 years old and its time to retire them. Ive just bought a nice sony es-5000 170x7 receiver and im thinking new speakers. I would like suggestions about which klipsch speakers will work best for me.This question is specifically addressing what will be the best front a/b and surround speakers for my system because i will be listening to both a wide range of music and 5.1 dolby digital films and running 170x7 watts into each channel rms

1. I listen to a wide variety of music from frank sinatra to Rap

2. i want speakers I can mount on the wall. Im thinking 6.5 woofers

3. I will be adding a sub

4. total, I will be using the full 7.1 set up. so my system will include

1. a center channel

2. sub

3. 2 fronts

4. 2 rears

5. 2 surrounds

I want speakers that are gonna kinda be like my car system. I have a componet system in it. You know, highs and mids to the front, low all through the sub. I want my home system the same way. Highs/mids on the a+bs and surrounds and the bass from the sub. Any suggestions are appreciated. Im sure its gonna lean toward the reference speakers?

Hensley,

More experienced guys here might give you more detailed advice. Let me just briefly touch upon a few points:

- what is your budget? without knowing it, no one will be able to give you a corect advise

- many people here will advise you to get 7 identical speakers if possible, perhaps with the exception of the center channel speaker

- what you call "component" feature, if i understood you correctly, is what widely known as base management, and it is a function of your receiver, not the speakers. Your receiver should allow you to determine the cut off frequency, lets say 80 Hz, below which all audio information from all 7 channels will be routed to your sub.

Hope this helps a little.

minus the center channel and sub, I was thinking for front a, rear b using wall mounted either rt-35 or rt-25. For the two surrounds using rs-25.

Or of course, I could use all rs-25s or all rt-25s. What do you guys think? How would these bode with both a wide variety of music and 5.1 movies all running at 170 watts

You could go with 6 RB-25s and RC-35 center.

The RB-25s retail $250 each but you should be able to get them for less especially if you are buying a whole setup.

The RB-35s are better. They retail for $300 each. I had a authorized dealer offer to sell me a pair for $500 the other day. You could use those up front and the RB-25s for the others if you don't want to spend that much for your surrounds and back speakers. I would suggest the better speakers for your mains.

All of these speakers flush mount to the wall except the center channel.

You have to spend more to get a good sub. Check out svsubwoofers.com. They are great and are a favorite among many on these forums. They start at $549. Maybe someone else will have some recommendations on less expensive subs.

Mark's advise is very good. One little note though, the MSRP for the RB-25s is $200 each.

I have the RB-25s for my fronts and the RC-25 center. I wanted to use two more RB-25s for the rears but the wife wouldn't have it. Therefore, I'm using the RS-25s and they're very good.

You need to go listen to the speakers yourself. Listen to them on the same receiver you have or at least another Sony ES. If that's not possible, listen to them and then see if you can bring them for a test.

Have fun,

John

made a good sale of my monster sized cerwin vega speakers and matching stands. Those babies were 75ibs a piece and the stands were solid oak. Since they were 11 years old it was time for them to go on top of my wife *****ing about their size everytime we move. So, we move into our brand new home we just bought thursday (no more rent for me) and which is prewired for surround sound (front/center/rear/rear surround). Off of ebay, I bought brand new a pair of Klipsch RB-35 for front, RB-25 for rear and a sub, RW-10. I know the sub is a little small but I prefer the punchier bass sound. 12 is the biggest i would have gone but i thought the 10 sounded good too. I havent bought the center channel or rear surrounds yet but am looking at: center channel:RC-35 or 25 and the dipole rs 25 or 25. Anyone got any suggestions on the advantages or the smaller/larger woofer size on the rs-25/35 since they are just the surround speakers and dont see all of the use front or rear speakers do?

----------------

On 3/15/2004 8:15:56 PM Hensley300 wrote:

I havent bought the center channel or rear surrounds yet but am looking at: center channel:RC-35 or 25 and the dipole rs 25 or 25. Anyone got any suggestions on the advantages or the smaller/larger woofer size on the rs-25/35 since they are just the surround speakers and dont see all of the use front or rear speakers do?

----------------

I'd get the RC-35 for the center, as it will match better to the RB-35s you said you just got. As for the surrounds, ho-boy - much debate (and a couple nasty little flame-wars) have erupted out of that one. People are going to tell you to use another pair of RB-35s or if saving some money and space, RB-25s. Other people are going to tell you to use the RS-35 or RS-25s. I personally liked the sound of the RS type speaker better for watching movies and TV myself. However, go with what works/fits best in your situation. If you have a chance, try to listen to some (one of the diadvantages of ordering things off the internet - difficult to listen to things before making the purchase).

From your original posting:

----------------

I want speakers that are gonna kinda be like my car system. I have a componet system in it. You know, highs and mids to the front, low all through the sub. I want my home system the same way. Highs/mids on the a+bs and surrounds and the bass from the sub. Any suggestions are appreciated. Im sure its gonna lean toward the reference speakers?

----------------

I know what you are talking about as I also have a coponent system in my car, with the speakers going through crossovers and the bass coming out of a sub. For example, in my car, i have the low-pass crossover set at about 65 hz on the amp, which is were the MB Quarts starts to roll off, and I let the 12 inch JL Audio W3v2 sub take over from there. The result is a very nice seamless integration of the bass into the rest of the system.

In a home audio setup, that is often refered to as "bass managment". Your reciever should give you the option to set your speakers as "large" or "small". In addition, it should give you the option to set a low-pass crossover anywhere from 120hz down to 40hz (a setting of 80hz is the "standard" setting, especially for THX). If you set your speakers to "large", than all signals will be sent to those speakers. If you set your speakers to "small", then signals above the crossover setting are sent to the speakers and the signals at or below the crossover setting are sent to the sub. Given that you plan on using bookshelf speakers pretty much all the way around, it is suggested to set all the speakers to small, and set the crossover to 80hz and let the sub handle everything from 80hz on down. That will act just like how a component car system will work.

----------------

On 3/15/2004 8:21:28 PM Griffinator wrote:

Don't use the dipoles. Go with another pair of 25's so your rear array is timbre-matched.

----------------

I have a serious question for you Griff. What mades you think that the WDST's within a speaker line would not timbre match the rest of the speakers within that same line?

Keith

----------------

On 3/16/2004 12:12:22 AM T2K wrote:

I have a serious question for you Griff. What mades you think that the WDST's within a speaker line would not timbre match the rest of the speakers within that same line?

----------------

OK, I'm not going to get into a big hullabaloo about it. I'd prefer not to be the next Analogman, if you know what I mean. I'm not interested in arguing the merits of WDST - I'll just give you facts.

1) The RS-25's output 79-20K, the RB-25's output 49-20K.

Already they're mismatched. Why? RB-25 uses a 6.25" driver, the RS-25 uses a 5".

2) The RS-25's run 96dB, the RB-25's run 94dB.

Again, we have timbre mismatch. Explanation? RS-25's use dual tweeters, which put out collectively more HF energy than the RB's single. Also further explains why the lack of LF extension on the RS - more energy is diverted to the horns, leaving less to push the already smaller driver.

3) The RS-25 uses a pair of 4" tractix horns, where the RB-25 uses a single 5" tractix. Again, we have differential, creating an altered frequency response.

Summation:

The RS-25 will not timbre match with the RB-25. Again, regardless of your feelings about WDST, it is obvious that we are not dealing with the same type of speaker, despite the fact that it's in the same "line".