on a budget for rptv

big c

Big, since a budget is of major concern, try your local Costco or Sams' Clubs. Not always, but often they have great gear for very decent prices. Besides, their return policy, especially at Costco is very flexible and you can always return your unit to them if not satisfied, even after a few months of use. :)

----------------

On 3/13/2004 1:50:55 PM TauRus wrote:

Big, since a budget is of major concern, try your local Costco or Sams' Clubs. Not always, but often they have great gear for very decent prices. Besides, their return policy, especially at Costco is very flexible and you can always return your unit to them if not satisfied, even after a few months of use.
:)

----------------

Indeed. I know someone who picked up a 65" Toshiba closeout model for $1500 at Sam's Club.

That said, beware of the "deals" you see there. I've seen three-year-old models pop up at Sam's for dirt cheap - but three-year-old models aren't going to have the crucial features (quality scaling, DVI interfaces, etc) that you get on the newer ones.

Big, I also want to second Hitachi. I am not familiar with this exact model, but i have seen a few other units, and still own one of the oldest HDTV ready Hitachi 43" model. You know, I often see other CRT RPTVs at friends places, and each time I realize how good the Hitachi screen is, and one feature in particular - wide viewing angle. I can basically watch my Hitachi almost from any reasonable angle, while at my friend's house who has one of the latest large Pioneer RPTVs, I had to always find some sweetspots, it looked like seating a little outside of the good viewing angle significantly decreased color saturation and brightness. My 2c.

First, thanks for all the inputs. I ended up buying the Toshiba. Not only did I get a better deal, but I got the 51hx83(which is their cinema series) instead of the 51h83. Picture wise, HDTV & DVD look excellent. Cable on the other hand is just ok. One more question, for the price($500+) is professional calibration a must or is it overated. 3.gif