Surround Speakers (neat Installation)

teda

I just bought a pair of RS 35 surrounds for my home theater system. I love them but installation could be neater. Does anyone have any tips (or tricks) on how to snake cable through a sheet rocked wall? I'm on an outside house wall and have a basement below. Just need to go up 5-6 feet inside the wall, but my install would look much neater if I could run the cables inside the wall rather than outside.

Ted

Drill up through base plate or down through top plate....then drill hole in wall where wire should come out....have someone feed a snake through plate...and grab it through hole using flashlight and a mechanics grabber tool...which is a skinny tool with a claw grabber on the end...

once ya pull the snake out of hole ..attach speaker wire and pull....

or you can just feed speaker cable down and grab it...either or this works....

teda, I have my surrounds on an outside wall as well. The problem I have with this particular wall is that it has fire breaks (horizontal 2x6's ) and a LOT of insullation. I had to use flat speaker wire that has adhesive on one side. Once I got it nice and straight from the floor up the wall, I painted over it. It looks fine.

Your construction may be fine to fish it through. That would be the cleanest way to go........

Take care

Mike ( The Yamaha/Hsu Underdog)

I just went through the exact same thing myself. You can try a stud finder like I did but I never seemed to get the same reading twice in a row. When I drilled through the top plate I ran into another 2x4 about a foot down. I bought one of those drill bit extensions at H/D and drilled down through the second 2x4 and got lucky after that. I didn't need to use a fish tape because I was running an electrical wire and it was stiff enough to just push straight down.

I was really worried when I cut the hole for the box thinking I was cutting a hole in the wall for nothing but I stuck a wire hanger in the hole and fished it right out. I was really proud of myself.

I was ready to give up after I ran into the second 2x4, don't give up too easily.